As Thousands Remain Missing in Haiti Including Many Americans (Lynn University Students) … Haiti Calls off Search & Rescue, Now only Search & Recovery
Haiti announces they will stop looking for the missing … Many Americans still unaccounted for in Haiti.
A little more than a week after the catastrophic 7.0 magnitude earthquake in Haiti, the Haitian government has called off the search and rescue phase of the earthquake relief effort. Much to the sadness and horror of families hoping beyond hope that their loved ones will be found alive underneath the rubble, they hear today that search efforts to find people alive have been stopped. The curious part of this decision is that just yesterday two individuals were rescued from the rubble.
Four students from Lynn University, Stephanie Crispinelli, Courtney Hayes, Christine Gianacaci, and Britney Gengel, are all still missing in Haiti following last week’s devastating earthquake.
(Courtesy Lynn University)
Haiti’s government has ended the search and rescue phase of the quake relief effort after two people who spent 10 days buried under rubble were pulled out alive and the death toll soared to more than 110,000.
The United Nations said 132 people had been saved from debris but that “the government has declared the search and rescue phase over.
“There were 132 live rescues by international search and rescue teams,” the UN’s Organisation for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs added in its latest situation report on the relief effort. Related article:Aid brings relief for some
An 84-year-old woman and 22-year-old man defied the odds by being rescued from the rubble in Port-au-Prince on Friday.
Many American parents still have no idea the fate of their children in Haiti. Many have expressed their anger at search efforts and the delays in searching for their loved ones. The frustration is epitomized by Leonard Gengel and his wife with regards to their frantic efforts to find their missing daughter, 20 year old Brittany Gengel.
More than a week after the quake rocked the country, the grief of not knowing has become unbearable. Frustration and hopelessness have boiled into anger against the U.S. government.
“We know our daughter was there and we want them to find her!” Leonard Gengel yelled earlier this week, hammering his fist on a table.
Gengel’s daughter Brittany, whose 20th birthday was Thursday, is one of four Florida college students still missing. Two of their teachers are also believed buried at the Hotel Montana in Port-Au-Prince.
Lynn University says all 14 people from Lynn were in the Hotel Montana when the quake struck.
As we all know, the world suffered one of the greatest natural disasters in history last Tuesday. The 7.0 earthquake that was centered just outside Port-au-Prince imperiled the lives of all those in Haiti, including 14 members of our Lynn University family who were there on a mission trip. All 14 were on site at the Hotel Montana when the quake struck, and we have reason to believe that our four missing students and two faculty may be there still.
What a logistical nightmare and mess Haiti is following the earthquake. No one knows how many Americans have been affected by the 7.0 earthquake; however, it has been confirmed that at least 35 Americans have been confirmed dead.
It remains unclear exactly how many Americans are missing. The U.S. Embassy in Port-Au-Prince had so far accounted for at least 9,400 of up to 45,000 Americans who were in Haiti before the quake. But some Americans may not have been affected by the devastation, and others may be OK but haven’t contacted officials.
At least 35 Americans have been confirmed dead, with U.S. officials investigating reports of an additional 21 potential U.S. fatalities.
A Parents Worst Nightmare … Gengels return home … HAITI RESCUE EFFORTS TURN TO RECOVERY
Leonard Gengel told reporters at Logan International Airport in Boston that he was notified by the U.S. Department of State the search and rescue mission at the Hotel Montana in Port-au-Prince was moving toward a recovery mission.
Mr. Gengel’s daughter, Britney K. Gengel, 20, is one of four Lynn University students and two professors still missing in Haiti. Her roommate, who survived and has returned to the U.S., has said Ms. Gengel was either taking a shower or a nap when the quake struck more than a week ago.
Here is a Letter to the Editor from the Marietta Times that our government should take heed of. Of course we will do the humanitarian correct thing and provide relief to the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere; however, the United States government first obligation is to their own citizens. Do not ever forget that.
However, I think the media in the U.S. has not paid enough attention to the fact that there are as many as 5,500 Americans in Haiti still unaccounted for, in addition to the 16 people already confirmed dead. The potential loss of American lives still exceeds the combined death tolls of the 9/11 terrorist attacks and Hurricane Katrina in 2005.
Accordingly, the efforts of the American people to fund relief organizations through private donations are much needed for all those suffering, and the ongoing work of the U.S. military and other governmental agencies is indispensable, not only for the Haitian people, but for many of our own as well.