NASCAR Suspends Kurt Busch indefinitely Ahead of Daytona 500 in Wake of Protective Order hearing for Ex-Grlfriend Patricia Driscoll (Update: Appeal Denied)
Hmm, before any criminal charges have been made, NASCAR has suspended Kurt Busch indefinitely ahead of Daytona 500 … I guess it does not help when your nickname is “The Outlaw”.
Ahead of NASCAR’s biggest race, The Daytona 500, NASCAR has suspended driver Kurt Busch indefinitely, effectively immediately. The suspension is in the wake of a Family Court of the State of Delaware granting Kurt Busch’s ex-girlfriend, Patricia Driscoll, a protective order, stemming from an alleged domestic violence incident that occurred on September 26, 2014 where Busch is accused of choking her. Kurt Busch and his legal team have denied the allegations and have put forth that notion that Patricia Driscoll is woman scorned, who has set out on a path to destroy Busch. It is a case of she said, he said, with a twist, a bizarre twist. Kurt Busch says his ex is a “trained assassin”.
NASCAR has suspended driver Kurt Busch for an indefinite period of time, which means he will not be in Sunday’s Daytona 500, pending an appeal.
“Given the serious nature of the findings and conclusions made by the Commissioner of the Family Court of the State of Delaware, NASCAR has indefinitely suspended Kurt Busch, effective immediately,” NASCAR said in a statement. “He will not be allowed to race nor participate in any NASCAR activities until further notice.”
Busch will appeal the decision, but Regan Smith has been named his official replacement and will fill Busch’s seat on Sunday.
“We are extremely disappointed that NASCAR has suspended Kurt Busch and we plan an immediate appeal,” Busch’s attorney Rusty Hardin said in a statement. “We assure everyone, including NASCAR, that this action against Mr. Busch will turn out to be a travesty of justice, apparent to all, as this story continues to unfold.”
The former champion and current driver for Stewart-Haas has spent the last six months embroiled in a dispute with his former girlfriend Patricia Driscoll. The precipitating event was an incident at Dover, Del., last fall in which Busch allegedly choked Driscoll. During that Sept. 26 incident at Busch’s motor home, Busch claimed he simply “cupped her head” and she struck her head by accident, while Driscoll claimed she was choked and thrown into a wall.
NASCAR has indefinitely suspended driver Kurt Busch for actions detrimental to stock car racing following the release today of a supplemental disposition setting forth the findings and conclusions that formed the basis for the Family Court of the State of Delaware’s decision on Monday to issue an Order of Protection from Abuse against him.
Busch, driver of the No. 41 car, was found to be in violation of:
• Section 12.1.a: Actions detrimental to stock car racing
• Section 12.8: Behavioral Penalty
“Given the serious nature of the findings and conclusions made by the Commissioner of the Family Court of the State of Delaware, NASCAR has indefinitely suspended driver Kurt Busch, effective immediately. He will not be allowed to race nor participate in any NASCAR activities until further notice.
“Kurt Busch and his Stewart-Haas Racing team are fully aware of our position and why this decision was made. We will continue to respect the process and timetable of the authorities involved.”
This is the first driver that NASCAR has ever suspended for domestic violence. It appears the NFL has spread to NASCAR. Obviously NASCAR felt the need to get ahead of this issue, having seen how badly NFL Roger Goodell handled the Ray Rice knock out of his girlfriend in a hotel elevator last year. Even before criminal charges were filed, NASCAR has decided to put the brakes on Kurt Busch.
It’s important to note that Busch has not yet been charged with any crime in the alleged incident — that is still an open investigation with the Delaware Attorney General’s office.
And let’s be clear: There are plenty of people in the NASCAR garage area who have their own opinions about Driscoll, her motives and her credibility.
But Jones’ ruling regarding the protective order was worded so strongly in Driscoll’s favor that it left NASCAR with no choice but to suspend Busch — especially in light of recent high-profile cases of domestic abuse or assault involving athletes, particularly NFL players Ray Rice, Greg Hardy and Adrian Peterson.
The American public appears to have a zero-tolerance policy when it comes to public figures and domestic abuse.
Patricia Driscoll Granted Restraining Order Against Kurt Busch
UPDATE I: Kurt Busch’s suspension upheld by panel.
An appeals panel upheld NASCAR’s indefinite suspension of driver Kurt Busch on Saturday, one day after the sanctioning body handed down punishment based on the findings of a Delaware family court.
NASCAR announced the decision from its headquarters at the International Motorsports Center, where Busch’s appeal was heard by a three-member panel consisting of Mr. Paul Brooks, Ms. Lyn St. James and Mr. Kevin Whitaker.
Busch will file a final appeal to the National Motorsports Final Appeals Officer, Bryan Moss.
TOP 10 AP Sports Stories of 2014 … NFL Domestic Violence #1 … However, They Missed a Few, Including #22 Lauren Hill
AP has released their TOP 10 stories of 2014. Some I would agree with; however, I think they missed a few glaring oversights, in favor of the cause-celeb issues of the day. At least in the mind of the media and not the common sports fan. AP made the NFL domestic violence issues their top story, which sadly, I do agree with. Although, it is not like domestic violence is something new to the NFL. It has been around for decades, it has just been swept under the carpet, much like the steroids and concussion issues.
Does anyone notice a glaring omission from AP’s stories below? With all the clamor about the Washington Redskin’s and their offense name, how come that one was no where to be found?
1. NFL DOMESTIC VIOLENCE: Baltimore Ravens star running back Ray Rice knocked his now-wife unconscious in an Atlantic City casino elevator Feb. 15, but it wasn’t until July 24 that domestic violence cases spiraled into a crisis roiling the NFL. Commissioner Roger Goodell suspended Rice for just two games, which drew widespread derision. More than a month passed before Goodell admitted he “didn’t get it right” and announced harsher sanctions for future domestic violence offenses.
But the NFL’s problems were only beginning. On Sept. 8, TMZ Sports released video from inside the elevator that showed Rice punching his then-fiancee; the Ravens responded by releasing him and Goodell suspended him indefinitely. And on Sept. 12, one of the league’s biggest stars, Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson, was indicted on felony child abuse charges for using a wooden switch to discipline his 4-year-old son. The Vikings initially planned to play him just over a week later, reversing course only after the ensuing uproar. [editors note: looks like AP forgot Carolina Panther's DE Greg Hardy, Arizona Cardinals RB Jonathan Dwyer, and San Francisco 49ers defensive lineman Ray McDonald who was just released by the 49ers after another allegation of domestic violence.
The year ends with Rice reinstated by an arbitrator but without a team and Peterson suspended and suing the NFL. Chastened by those and other cases, the league is pushing a new personal conduct policy, but the players' union is balking at Goodell's role in the disciplinary process.
2. CLIPPERS' STERLING BANNED
3. LEBRON GOES HOME:
4. FIRSTS FOR GAY ATHLETES - [editors note: not sure if this story gets top 10, not because of not being important, more so because Michael Sam never made a starting roster and was eventually cut from the Ram's practice squad and never resigned by another team].
5. GIANTS WIN WORLD SERIES
6. COLLEGE FOOTBALL PLAYOFF PAYS OFF – [editors note: This was a huge story for college football; however, it will soon be changed to 8 teams and not 4.]
7. TONY STEWART:
8. WORLD CUP:
9. SEAHAWKS WIN SUPER BOWL – [editors note: Once again QB Peyton Manning choked in the big game as the Legion of Boom and Seattle Seahawks dominated the Denver Broncos 43-8. I am not even sure if the game was that close. The score was 36-0 before Broncos decided to score a meaningless TD.]
10. SOCHI OLYMPICS:
Many of the above stories were covered by Scared Monkeys, I think a couple should be added that are glaring commissions from AP’s top 10.
All my life I have been a Boston Red Sox fan and have hated the vile NY Yankees, but I will be the first to admit that the retirement of Derek Jeter should have easily been in the top 10. What about the NCAA College basketball center of the universe being located in Storrs, Connecticut? In 2014 the UCONN Huskies Men’s and Women’s teams were proved they were both “Best in Show” as they won National Championships. The men for the 4th time as the #7 seed University of Connecticut Huskies defeat the #8 seed Kentucky Wildcats, 60-54. Then, the following night, Geno Auriemma’s (40-0) Lady Huskies routed Notre Dame 79-58 for their 9th title. This accomplishment had only happened one time before in D1, by the UCONN Huskies in 2004.
Maybe the best sports story of 2014 and maybe the most inspirational of 2014, which was completely missed by all sports pundits, is the story of freshman forward Lauren Hill of the Division III Mount St. Josephs. Lauren is dying of inoperable brain cancer. It is a story that will touch your heart. I will write more about this in a separate post as it is my #1 story of 2014 in a year that had so many negative ones.
NASCAR’s Tony Stewart Hits and Kills Driver Kevin Ward, Jr. During Spring Cup Race at Canandaigua, New York Motorsports Park (VIDEO) (Update: Authorities Says On-Going Investigation)
JUST HORRIFIC …
43 year old NASCAR driver Tony Stewart hit and killed 20 year old Kevin Ward, Jr. last night at a dirt racetrack in Canandaiqua, New York. Stewart’s vehicle hit Kevin Ward Jr. after he got out of his race car while the race was under a yellow flag. Ward walked on to the track pointed his finger and yelling at Stewart following his crash at the end of turn two during lap 14 of 25. Kevin Ward Jr. died from injuries suffered in the incident.
The Nascar driver Tony Stewart struck and killed another driver on Saturday night while competing in a dirt track sprint car event at Canandaigua Motorsports Park in Central Square, N.Y.
A graphic video posted on YouTube showed Stewart, a three-time Sprint Cup champion in Nascar, hitting the driver, Kevin Ward Jr., 20, as Ward stood outside his racecar on the track.
Ward and Stewart had bumped cars during an earlier lap, sending Ward’s racecar into an outside wall and prompting a caution flag. Ward then exited his racecar and approached on foot as Stewart’s racecar came around again. As Ward stood on the track and pointed at Stewart, Stewart’s racecar sounded as if it revved its engine then fishtailed, the right tire hitting Ward and dragging him under the car.
WARNING – DISCRETION ADVISED, Graphic and Adult Language
New post: Tony Stewart changes mind, will not drive in NASCAR race
Tony Stewart was “visibly shaken” by an incident in which his car struck and killed a driver during a dirt-track race in Canandaigua, N.Y., but will drive today, as planned, in a nearby NASCAR race.
“He is believed to be back in Watkins Glen [site of today's NASCAR race] at this time,” Philip C. Povero, Ontario County, N.Y., sheriff told reporters Sunday morning. “Mr. Stewart has, again, fully cooperated with the police officers that are investigating. He was visibly shaken by this incident and has promised his continuing cooperation in this investigation.”
UPDATE II: Ontario County Sheriff Philip Povero Gives Press Conference on Tony Stewart Incident. (VIDEO)
Ontario County Sheriff Philip Povero says this is an on-going investigation into an on-track crash.
Retired NASCAR Driver Dick Trickle dead at 71 of Apparant Suicide, Self-Inflicted Gunshot Wound … RIP
Former NASCAR drive Dick Trickle died Thursday at the age of 71 form an apparent suicide. According to Lincoln County, NC, sheriff’s department, the incident occurred at 12:02 p.m. ET at Forest Lawn Cemetery off Highway 150 in Boger City, NC where Trickle died from a self-inflicted gun shot wound. Prior to his death, he called the Lincoln County Communications Center and stated that “there would be a dead body and it would be his.” How tragically sad. Trickle was a throw back of days gone by in NASCAR racing and frankly one I wish still existed rather the over-commercialized one of today.
Richard “Dick” Trickle (October 27, 1941 – May 16, 2013) … RIP
Retired stock-car driver Dick Trickle, known for his colorful name and short-track prowess, died on Thursday from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound. He was 71.
According to the Lincoln County, N.C., sheriff’s department, the incident occurred at 12:02 p.m. ET at Forest Lawn Cemetery off Highway 150 in Boger City.
The Lincoln County Communications Center received a call, apparently from Trickle, that “there would be a dead body and it would be his.” Center workers tried to place a return call to the number but did not get an answer.
Emergency units found Trickle’s body lying near his pickup truck when they arrived.
Lt. Tim Johnson, who heads the Lincoln County detective department, said that at the family’s request, no additional information would be released at this time.
Fantastic VIDEO of Dick Trickle smoking a cigarette during the race in a NASCAR world that was so much more different than the sanitized one of today … When it used to be called ”Winston” Cup racing
More on the life of Richard “Dick” Trickle and his legendary short tack racing from CNN.
Richard “Dick” Trickle — who parlayed a legendary reputation as a short-track driver into a full-time career on stock car racing’s biggest stages in the 1990s — died Thursday of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound, a North Carolina sheriff’s office said. He was 71.
The Wisconsin-born Trickle raced during the 1970s and 1980s, then broke through as a full-time and widely recognized NASCAR driver in 1989. By that time, according to a Sports Illustrated article, the 48-year-old grandfather of two had won some 1,200 stock car competitions in 31 years of racing.
Daytona 500: 50 Cent Does His Best Imitation of Joe Namath … Rapper Tries to Hit on and Kiss Erin Andrews
I wonder if President Barack Obama considers the following a “war on women” and just who did 50 Cent vote for in the last election?
This is quite embarrassing, can you say AWKWAR? 50 Cent tries to hit on FOX Sports Erin Andrews in the pit area prior to yesterday’s Daytona 500. It would seem that the 37 year old rapper Curtis “50 Cent” Jackson was the first car wreck of the day as Andrews thwarted his advance. What is most amazing is the fact that Erin Andrews was the center of a major stalking incident and well talked about and seen internet video. That demeaning situation for Erin did not seem to stop 50 Cent. I guess 50 Cent was channeling his inner Joe Namath. Remember years back another majorly awkward moment when ESPN’s Suzy Colber was hit on by a rather amorous former NY Jet QB Joe Namath.
Erin Andrews was out in the Daytona pit area prior to Sunday’s race. She was looking for Danica Patrick, but she found … 50 Cent. And 50 Cent is quite smitten.
Watch as 50 Cent tries to plant a smooch on Andrews’ cheek and follows her on a two-man Danica hunt.
However, the following is still one of the most awkward moments for a female broadcaster and the perils of dealing with over affectionate males. Add a lot of alcohol to the mix and we get the following.Remember the amazingly awkward moment on the sidelines of Suzy Kolber interviewing Joe Namath … “I want to kiss you … I couldn’t care less about the team struggling”