From false rape accuser to murderer …
34 year old Crystal Mangum was found guilty of second degree murder by a jury on Friday in the stabbing death of her boyfriend, Reginald Daye. Mangum stabbed her boyfriend, Reginald Daye on April 3, 2011, in which 10 days later died from complications. Mangum claimed the stabbing was a case of self-defense; however, the jury did not believe her. She was sentenced to between 14 years and 18 years in prison. It is simply amazing how some people seem to just not be able to stay out of trouble. In 2006, Crysta Mangum falsely claimed Duke lacrosse players gang-raped her at a team party where she was hired as a stripper.
The woman who falsely accused three Duke University lacrosse players of rape was convicted of second-degree murder Friday in the stabbing death of her boyfriend.
The jury deliberated for about six hours over two days before reaching its verdict in the trial of 34-year-old Crystal Mangum, who was sentenced to between 14 years and 18 years in prison.
Killed was 46-year-old Reginald Daye, who was stabbed on April 3, 2011. He died of complications 10 days later.
“That’s the jury’s vote,” Meier said. “At least it wasn’t first-degree. I still thought it was self-defense or, in the worst case, manslaughter. But the jury must have found malice.”
Assistant District Attorney Charlene Franks said the prosecution was satisfied with the verdict.
“It’s up to the jury, and we’re satisfied with what the jury did,” she said. “They felt that justice was required in this case.”
UNBELIEVABLE … Limestone County, AL Judge James Woodroof Suspended Sentence of Austin Clem Convicted of Forcible & 2nd Degree Rape from 20 Years to No Prison Time Sentence
If there was ever a story that needed to be categorized as WTF, it is the following one …
JUSTICE? 25 year old Austin Clem had been previously convicted raping a minor Courtney Andrews. The abuse started when she was 13, saying she kept quiet for years because of threats at the hands of her rapist. Clem had sexually abused her at age 13, then raped her twice at age 14 and once at age 18. Austin Clem now faced the sentencing for his crimes, or so everyone thought. Initially, Limestone County, Alabama Judge James Woodroof handed down a jail terms of 20 years for forcible rape and 10 years each for two second-degree rape charges to run concurrently. Then Judge James Woodroof did the unthinkable. The judge suspended those sentences and instead gave Clem three community corrections sentences of two years plus three years of supervised probation, to be carried out concurrently. Austin Clem must register as a sex offender, but if he follows all the ridiculous suspended sentence guidelines, this rapist will stay out of prison. According to reports at CNN, not only was the victim stunned, so to was the rapist’s defense attorney.
I’m still baffled,” the victim, Courtney Andrews, told CNN. She came forward publicly to express her outrage over Wednesday’s sentencing. “I don’t know how any of this is possible.”
The defense for Austin Clem, 25, was also caught off guard at first.
“Frankly, I think the judge’s sentence was surprising to most everyone in the courtroom,” said Clem’s attorney, Dan Totten.
What the hell was this judge thinking, suspending a sentence from 20 years to 6 years probation and no prison time for forcible and two counts of 2nd degree rape? UNREAL!!! Get this, the lawyer for Clem is actually considering appealing the conviction. It’s not bad enough this POS does not have to serve time in prison, he is whining that the slap on the wrist given is like house arrest. Poor baby.
The lawyer says Clem is considering an appeal on the conviction. He has 30 days from the sentencing to do so.
As the sentence stands, the requirements for community corrections are so stringent that they are in effect a form of house arrest, Totten said.
“It sets a bar so high, I don’t know of a lot of people who could abide by these limitations,” he said.
The county’s district attorney, Brian Jones is “reviewing available options to set aside this sentence and to achieve a sentence that gives justice to our victim.”
BYE, BYE WHITEY …
James Joseph “Whitey” Bulger, the former organized crime figure from South Boston, Massachusetts and head of the Winter Hill Gang was dressed in his orange prison jump suit as he was sentenced today to two life sentences in prison plus five years by a federal judge. Ha, because after 2 life sentences, those extra 5 years just put the cherry on the sundae. The 84 year old Bulger was convicted earlier this year of charges that he participated in 11 murders, drug trafficking, racketeering, money laundering, extortion, and pretty much every crime that took place in South Boston. Good riddance, this man will spend the rest of his life in a cage.
James “Whitey” Bulger … Then and Now
Notorious Boston gangster James “Whitey” Bulger was sentenced today to two life sentences in prison plus five years by a federal judge who cited the lives that Bulger wrecked as he rampaged for decades through the city’s underworld under the protection of corrupt FBI agents.
The testimony of human suffering that you and your associates inflicted on others was at times agonizing to hear and painful to watch,” said US District Court Judge Denise J. Casper, who recited, one by one, the names of the people Bulger murdered.
“The scope, the callousness, the depravity of your crimes, are almost unfathomable,” she said in the stillness of a courtroom filled with teary-eyed relatives of the killer’s victims.
Bulger, 84, was convicted earlier this year of charges that he participated in 11 murders, drug trafficking, racketeering, money laundering, extortion, and other crimes. Bulger fled Boston shortly before his 1995 racketeering indictment. One of the FBI’s 10 Most Wanted — along with Osama bin Laden — he eluded a worldwide manhunt until he was captured in June 2011 in Santa Monica, Calif.
The Outlaw and the Lawman from 2001
For those of you not familiar with Boston crime boss Whitey Bulger, the VIDEO below is a good watch. “Whitey” Bulger,
one of the most noted legendary Boston crime bosses, who was the inspiration to the movie, The Departed.”
75 Year Old James Parham Pleads Guilty In Drug, Prostitution Sweep in Senior Citizen Housing Complex in Englewood, NJ
PIMPING AIN’T EASY, ESPECIALLY AT 75 …
Hmm, didn’t we see this in a Soprano’s episode? 75 year old James Parham has please guilty to possession of drugs and providing prostitutes to some of his younger neighbors in the building.In April, 2013, James Parham and Cheryl Chaney, 66, were arrested on suspicion of running a prostitution ring out of the Tibbs building and possessing cocaine. Parham was evicted from his apartment at the Tibbs building, who was already in the process of being evicted in a matter unrelated to his recent arrest, said Housing Authority Attorney Terrence Corriston. Who says you have to retire at age 65? Good grief.
James Parham, 75, pleaded guilty to possession of drug paraphernalia and maintaining a nuisance for purposes of engaging in unlawful conduct. Parham allegedly admitted providing prostitutes — mostly young women with crack cocaine habits — to some of his younger neighbors in the building, police said. As part of the Oct. 17 plea, Parham can never return to the senior building at 111 West St. He also is barred from living in any building owned by the Englewood Housing Authority and must pay more than $1,500 in fines.
The sting operation that ensnared Parham, his 66-year-old neighbor and a school crossing guard made national headlines and became joke fodder for late-night comedians. Englewood police have maintained 24-hour patrols in the lower-income senior building since late April that residents say have kept out vagrants and other unwelcome guests. The two women who also were arrested in the sweep pleaded guilty to similar charges in August.
Former Texas District Attorney Ken Anderson Gets 10 Jail Sentence For Prosecutorial Misconduct for Withholding Evidence that Sent Michael Morton to Prison for 25 Years for Murdering his Wife
Hmm, a sentence for 10 days vs. 25 years or 9125 days … doesn’t quite seem like justice, does it?
The NY Times has an interesting editorial regarding prosecutor misconduct. Now although we have always been a victim’s rights advocate and pretty much side against defense attorneys, their sleazy tactics, and their even worse clients, it has to be said that to maintain justice and our legal system prosecutors need to be help to a high standard. Thus we are presented with the situation where former Williamson County, TX District Attorney Ken Anderson was found guilty of prosecutor misconduct. Anderson “intentionally” failed to turn over evidence, even after the judge had ordered so, of a transcript of a phone conversation revealing that the Mortons’ 3 year old son had described his mother’s killer as a “monster” who was not his father. Michael Morton was found guilty of beating his wife to death and sentenced to life in prison. However, in 2010 DNA testing confirmed that Morton was not the killer, but not after he spent almost 25 years in prison. However, for his act of “prosecutorial misconduct” that sent a man to prison for nearly 25 years, Anderson got 10 days in jail. HUH? I guess the public can take solace in the fact that he can never practice law again, but 10 days, really?
For what may be the first time on record, a former prosecutor in Texas is going to jail for failing to turn over exculpatory evidence in a murder trial. The 10-day jail sentence for the prosecutor, Ken Anderson, is insultingly short — the victim of his misconduct, Michael Morton, spent nearly 25 years in prison. But because prosecutors are so rarely held accountable for their misconduct, the sentence is remarkable nonetheless.
In 1987, Mr. Morton was convicted of beating to death his wife, Christine, and sentenced to life in prison. He maintained his innocence, and in 2010 DNA testing confirmed that he was not the killer.
Even before a Texas court vacated Mr. Morton’s conviction, his lawyers alleged that Mr. Anderson, the prosecutor in his case, had deliberately withheld evidence that would have exonerated him. During Mr. Morton’s trial, the judge had ordered Mr. Anderson to turn over any such evidence and received only a few documents in return. In fact, Mr. Anderson possessed many documents he did not turn over, including a transcript of a phone conversation revealing that the Mortons’ 3-year-old son had described his mother’s killer as a “monster” who was not his father.
Anderson resigned his office of district judge in September, a job he’d held since leaving his post as Williamson County’s top prosecutor in 2002. Faced with a civil lawsuit and criminal charges stemming from the Morton case, he accepted a deal to satisfy both issues Friday.
As part of the deal signed off on by District Judge Kelly Moore, Anderson pleaded no contest to a 1987 criminal contempt of court charge for lying about evidence that could have cleared Morton. He’s ordered to serve 10 days in jail, pay a $500 fine and complete 500 hours of community service over the next five year.
Anderson has also volunteered to resign from the state bar and give up his ability to practice law. As a result of the deal, he will not be charged with any criminal offense.
As we said above, it is important for prosecutors to be held to a high standard, our legal justice system counts on it. Unfortunately prosecutorial misconduct occurs far too often as some DA’s lose sight of legal ethics to a must win at all cost. Just recently during the George Zimmerman murder trial in the death of Trayvon Martin, we saw that the defense, Mark O’Mare and Don West, were accusing the prosecution of withholding evidence.
Daily Commentary – Wednesday, October 16, 2013 – Ex-San Diego Mayor Bob Filner Pleads Guilty to One Charge of False Imprisonment & Two Counts of Battery
- Disgraced Bob Filner pleaded guilty to charges involving 3 women; one charge of false imprisonment and two misdemeanor counts of battery. “Filthy” Filner finally resigned effective August 30, 2013, even though back in July he did not believe he was guilty of any sexual harassment of woman. Good riddance to bad rubbish. Listen to the podcast below.
Under the plea agreement, Filner will not serve any time behind bars but will spend three months in home confinement, give up most of his mayoral pension and promise never to run for office again.
Filner will also undergo treatment as “directed by a mental health professional” during his three years of probation.
18 year old Austin Sigg pleads guilty in the death and dismemberment of Jessica Ridgeway. Sigg faces a minimum sentence of 40 years in prison with the possibility of parole; however, was not eligible for the death penalty because he committed his heinous crimes at the age of 17. At the very least, the family of Jessica Ridgeway will at least be spared the ordeal of a trial and have to live again through the viscous and unspeakable murder of their daughter.
Honestly, there is no punishment that could be given to this piece of human waste other than the death penalty.
A Colorado teen charged with kidnapping and killing a 10-year-old girl pleaded guilty Tuesday to all 15 charges against him, against the advice of his attorneys.
Austin Sigg, 18, could be sent to prison for the rest of his life for the slaying of Jessica Ridgeway in Westminster nearly a year ago. Jessica was abducted while walking to school, and her disappearance panicked thousands of residents in Denver’s western suburbs.
Sigg also pleaded guilty Tuesday to a May 2012 attack on a 22-year-old jogger at a lake in Jessica’s neighborhood.
Prosecutors said Sigg entered the pleas because of overwhelming evidence against him. His trial would have started Thursday.
Georgia Jury Finds 18 Year Old De’Marquise Elkins Guilty of Shooting & Murdering 13 Month Old Antonio Santiago in Stroller
A Georgia jury has found 18 year old De’Marquise Elkins in the murder of 13 month old Antonio Santiago. Elkins had shot the toddler while he was in his stroller in broad daylight in Brunswick, GA. Elkins could be sentenced to life in prison for his convictions; however, the punk was spared from the death penalty, because he was 17 when he shot the baby. The toddlers mother, Sherry West, had testified during the trial that she was walking home from the post office on March 21, 2013 with her son when Elkins demanded that she give him her purse Elkins then shot her in the leg and shot her baby in the face after she told him she had no money. Just sick. The fact that the defendant was 17 should have been irrelevant as to the death penalty. Any individual who shoots a baby in the face while they are in a stroller, does not deserve life.
After deliberating for nearly two hours, a Georgia jury found 18-year-old De’Marquise Elkins guilty Friday of multiple charges, including felony murder, for shooting and killing 13-month-old Antonio Santiago during a robbery.
Elkins was also convicted of aggravated assault and other charges for shooting pastor Wilfredo Calix-Flores during a separate mugging 10 days before baby Santiago was shot.
His mother Karimah Elkins, who was tried along with her son, was convicted of tampering with evidence for her role in trying to cover up the shooting.
Both Elkins and his mother showed no sign of any emotion as the verdict was read. They sat silently, staring straight ahead as they have throughout the entire trial.
Elkins’ defense attorney says he is going to appeal the case and exonerate his client. Yeah, I I believe in unicorns.
A military jury has recommended the death penalty for terrorist and Ft. Hood shooter Nidal Hasan for the 2009 massacre at Ft Hood that left 13 people dead and 32 others wounded. The judge accepted the verdict; the matter now goes to the “convening authority.” The only problem is, that it won’t be immediate.As for being a martyr, hardly …
“He will never be a martyr, because he has nothing to give,” Col. Michael Mulligan said in an even voice. “He is a criminal, a cold-blooded murderer. He is not giving his life; we are taking his life.”
“You should not punish him for his religion, you should punish him for his crimes,” he added.
A military jury on Wednesday recommended the death penalty for convicted Fort Hood shooter Maj. Nidal Hasan, for the 2009 massacre on post that left 13 people dead and 32 others wounded.
The 13-member panel spent less than two hours deliberating privately, and the president — or forewoman– announced the finding in open court with a clear voice, that Hasan “be put to death.”
The convicted killer said nothing as the decision was announced, and had appeared emotionless earlier in the morning when dramatic closing arguments in the sentencing phase were held without his participation.
Terrorist Nidal Hasan Convicted Unanimously on all 13 counts of Murder & 32 Counts of Attempted Murder in the Fort Hood Shooting Rampage
Nidal Hassan guilty on all counts!!!
A military jury convicted the Army psychiatrist Maj. Nidal Hasan of 13 counts of murder and 32 counts of attempted murder in the Ft. Hood terrorist shooting rampage that took place November 5, 2009. The jurors deliberated less than seven hours over two days before unanimously finding Hasan guilty of the premeditated murder counts. Hasan now faces the possibility of the death penalty as punishment for his crimes. Hassan represented himself and basically did not put on any real defense during the trial and provided no closing argument. This was a terrorist act from the outset; however, the Obama administration has categorized it as work place violence. Yea, right.
The question that needs to be asked is not whether Hassan is guilty or whether he should burn in hell, but instead, how in the world was this guy allowed to be a psychiatrist in the US Army? Just another example of political correctness kills.
A military jury on Friday convicted Army Maj. Nidal Hasan of 13 counts of murder and 32 counts of attempted murder in a shooting rampage at Fort Hood, Texas, making it possible for the death penalty to be considered as a punishment.
The jurors deliberated less than seven hours over two days before finding Hasan guilty on all charges in connection with the November 5, 2009, shootings at a deployment process center.
The Army psychiatrist admitted to targeting soldiers he was set to deploy with to Afghanistan, saying previously he wanted to protect the Taliban and its leaders from the U.S. military.
Under the rules of a military court-martial, the jury must return a unanimous verdict of premeditated murder for the death penalty to be considered as a punishment option. The jury is not required to tell the court whether they reached a unanimous verdict on the attempted murder charges.
As the Jawa Report asks, can we execute Hassan now? Lets not keep Lucifer waiting.