Crystal Mangum, Woman Who Falsely Accused 3 Duke LAX Players of Rape, Found Guilty of Murder

From false rape accuser to murderer …

34 year old Crystal Mangum was found guilty of second degree murder by a jury on Friday in the stabbing death of her boyfriend, Reginald Daye. Mangum stabbed her boyfriend, Reginald Daye on April 3, 2011, in which 10 days  later died from complications. Mangum claimed the stabbing was a case of self-defense; however, the jury did not believe her. She was sentenced to between 14 years and 18 years in prison. It is simply amazing how some people seem to just not be able to stay out of trouble. In 2006, Crysta Mangum falsely claimed Duke lacrosse players gang-raped her at a team party where she was hired as a stripper.

Crystal Mangum_guilty_Durham County Sheriff’s Office

The woman who falsely accused three Duke University lacrosse players of rape was convicted of second-degree murder Friday in the stabbing death of her boyfriend.

The jury deliberated for about six hours over two days before reaching its verdict in the trial of 34-year-old Crystal Mangum, who was sentenced to between 14 years and 18 years in prison.

Killed was 46-year-old Reginald Daye, who was stabbed on April 3, 2011. He died of complications 10 days later.

Mangum’s attorney, Daniel Meier filed an appeal Friday.

“That’s the jury’s vote,” Meier said. “At least it wasn’t first-degree. I still thought it was self-defense or, in the worst case, manslaughter. But the jury must have found malice.”

Assistant District Attorney Charlene Franks said the prosecution was satisfied with the verdict.

“It’s up to the jury, and we’re satisfied with what the jury did,” she said. “They felt that justice was required in this case.”

From False Duke LAX Rape Accuser to Murder … Man Crystal Mangum Stabbed Has Died

Crystal Mangum, You’ve Come a Long Way Baby … NOT!

32 year old Crystal Mangum finds herself in a world of trouble. The woman who falsely accused Duke Lacrosse players of rape in 2006 and was recently charged with child abuse is now facing potential murder charges. This woman just cannot seem to keep herself out of trouble. According to Durham, NC police theman that Mangum stabbed has died from his injuries.

Mangum already was in jail under a $300,000 secured bond charged with assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill inflicting serious injury.

“More than likely, we will be upgrading the charge to murder,” Lopez said.

What a piece of work this woman is. Welcome to the female version of Joran Van der Sloot. Eventually, they wind up getting their just desserts. We can only pray for her children as this woman is a lost cause.

Crystal Mangum, the Woman who Falsely Claimed Rape by Duke LAX Players … Now Accused of Stabbing her Boyfriend

SHE’S BAAACK … ARRESTED AGAIN.

Some people just cannot keep their names out of the news with negative news. One of them is Joran Van der Sloot, add Crystal Mangum to that list as well. It may not actually be true that any PR is good PR.

32 year old Crystal Mangum just cannot keep out fo trouble. Who is Crystal Mangum you ask? She is the woman who not only falsely accused that she had been raped by Duke Lacrosse player, but also was recently found guilty of child abuse. It gets worse for Crystal Mangum. She has now been accused of stabbing her 46 year old boyfriend. Crystal Mangum has been charged with assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill inflicting serious injury. She is presently being held without bond.

Durham police say 32-year-old Crystal Mangum was arrested Sunday morning several hours after the stabbing that seriously injured her 46-year-old boyfriend.

Read more

Crystal Mangum, the Woman Who Falsely Accused 3 Duke University LAX Players of Rape Found Guilty of Child Abuse

Crystal Mangum is back in the news, what you don’t remember the name? What goes around comes around …

32 year old Crystal Mangum, the woman who falsely accused three Duke University lacrosse players of rape in March 2006 has been found guilty by a North Carolina jury of 3 counts of child abuse, injury to personal property, and resisting arrest. According to reports, Crystal Mangum put her boyfriend’s clothing into a bathtub and set it on fire while her three children. There were also two police officers were inside the apartment as well.

A woman who authorities said falsely accused three Duke University lacrosse players of rape four years ago has been found guilty by a North Carolina jury of misdemeanor child abuse and damaging property.

A Durham County jury on Friday convicted 32-year-old Crystal Mangum of contributing to child abuse or neglect, injury to personal property, and resisting a public officer stemming from a February confrontation with her live-in boyfriend. Mangum was sentenced to time already served before she was released on bail earlier this year.

The jury deadlocked 9-3 on a felony arson charge, and Superior Court Judge Abraham Jones declared a mistrial.

What are the chances that this woman’s name would ever be referenced again after the saga that was the Duke Lacrosse rape scandal?

Cleared Duke Lacrosse Player Seek $30 Million Settlement & Reforms in Legal Process

On the day that ex-DA Mike Nifong heads to jail to wear an orange jump suit, a Duke_Lacrosse_gavelmonetary settlement is discussed in the Duke Lacrosse case. They should have made him wear the orange jumper and pick up trash a long the road side. The symbolism would have been poetic. What’s the price of being falsely indicted for rape? It appears to be $30 million. The three Duke Lacrosse players, David Evans, Collin Finnerty and Reade Seligmann, who have all been cleared on rape charges brought against them by the shameless actions of disgraced ex-DA Mike Nifong are now looking for their monetary damages. The cost of the settlement that the three are looking to make with the city of Durham, NC appears to be $30 million along with reforms in the legal process.

The three Duke lacrosse players who were falsely accused of rape are seeking a $30 million settlement and reforms in the legal process, a person close to the case said Friday, the same day the case prosecutor was due to start his 24-hour jail sentence. The players attorneys, meanwhile, have proposed a settlement with the city of Durham that includes reforming the legal system. If the terms aren’t met, the attorneys will file a civil rights lawsuit early next month, the person close to the case said, speaking on condition of anonymity because the proposed settlement wasn’t complete.

Duke_LAX_players

During a discussion Wednesday with Durham officials, players’ attorneys Brendan Sullivan and Barry Scheck stressed that the money they are seeking in the settlement — about $10 million each for David Evans, Collin Finnerty and Reade Seligmann over five years — must be accompanied by legal reforms, the person said. (Yahoo News)

Lawyers Discuss Potential Duke Lacrosse Civil Rights Lawsuit

Read more

Posted September 7, 2007 by
Duke Lacrosse Rape, Judicial | 8 comments

Judicial Irony: Ex-Durham County District Attorney Mike Nifong Sentenced to Jail

Who could have ever imagined this ever happening when the Duke Lacrosse Rape case Nifong_criminalwas first announced? A case where Mike Nifong trumpeted that members of the Duke Lacrosse team were guilty of rape has turned into Former DA Mike Nifong was sentenced to spend time in the very jail that he was looking to send innocent people to. Nifong’s willfull and intentional actions are now coming home to roost.

The irony is not lost in the fact that Ex-Durham County District Attorney Mike Nifongwillfully winds up in the very jail that he was so determined to put others in, no matter what the cost, the facts or the law. From those actions came ethics and disbarment. Add a day in jail to that list as well. Nifong’s broken career continues as the punishments continue to be handed down for his despicable actions during the Duke Lacrosse rape case. 

Superior Court Judge W. Osmond Smith III could have sentenced Nifong, who had already been stripped of his law license and had resigned from office, to as many as 30 days in jail and given him a fine as high as $500. Instead, he opted for a largely symbolic punishment – the public humiliation of sending a prosecutor to jail – that he said would help protect the integrity of the justice system.

Posted September 1, 2007 by
Duke Lacrosse Rape, Judicial | 6 comments

Ex-DA Mike Nifong, “no credible evidence” that Three Duke Lacrosse Players Committed a Crime

Ex-Durham, NC District Attorney is a day late and a dollar short. Today the disbarred Village_idiotNifong stated that there was “no credible evidence” that the Duke LAX players committed a crime. Um, Nifong … then why did you prosecute the case? Maybe you should have made this revelation when you first investigated the alleged rape.

Disgraced former prosecutor Mike Nifong acknowledged Thursday there is “no credible evidence” that three Duke lacrosse players committed any of the crimes he accused them of more than a year ago, offering for the first time a complete and unqualified apology.

Its one thing to apologize. However, it still does not explain why Mike Nifong pursued a prosecution when he knew there was no evidence. That is a criminal act on his part to knowing prosecute with no cause. It will also prove to be a rather costly error on Nifong’s part as civil lawsuits will be filed in the future.

On Thursday, Nifong apologized.

“I agree with the attorney general’s statement that there is no credible evidence that Mr. Seligmann, Mr. Finnerty or Mr. Evans committed any of the crimes for which they were indicted — or any other crimes against (the accuser) — during the party,” Nifong said. He declined to comment further after the hearing, as did his attorneys. (Yahoo News)

Duke University and Three LAX Players, David Evans, Collin Finnerty and Reade Seligmann, Announce Settlement

Who would have ever thought as things stood a year ago that DA Nifong would be disbarred and Duke University would be reaching a settlement with former lacrosse players David Evans, Collin Finnerty and Reade Seligmann? What an amazing, bizarre and stunning turn of events from the initial accusations.

Duke_LacrosseRapeSusp

This has been an extraordinary year for Duke students David Evans, Collin Finnerty and Reade Seligmann, who were accused of serious crimes they did not commit. In April, after a thorough review, the North Carolina Attorney General declared that they were innocent of all charges and that the charges never should have been brought. We welcomed their exoneration and deeply regret the difficult year they and their families have had to endure.  They conducted themselves with great dignity during their long ordeal.

STATEMENT OF DAVID EVANS, COLLIN FINNERTY AND READE SELIGMANN:

Read more

North Carolina State Bar charged Mike Nifong Broke Rules (Update: Disbarred)

The NC Bar has charged DA Mike Nifong with breaking several rules of professional misconduct in dealing with the Duke Lacrosse rape case including “dishonesty, fraud, deceit and misrepresentation.” Mike Nifong has stated that he will resign his position as DA.

Nifong3

(ABC News)

The North Carolina State Bar charged Nifong with breaking several rules of professional conduct, including lying to both the court and bar investigators and withholding critical DNA test results from the players’ defense attorneys.

The committee, after deliberating for a little more than an hour, unanimously agreed with the bar on almost every charge — including the most serious allegations — that Nifong’s actions involved “dishonesty, fraud, deceit and misrepresentation.” (Yahoo News) N.C. State Bar: Nifong Guilty of Ethics Violations

Nifong had been charged with seven counts of violating the rules of professional conduct that govern attorney conduct in North Carolina. During closing arguments attorney Doug Brocker of the North Carolina State Bar said Nifong engaged in a “systematic abuse of prosecutorial power and discretion in the Duke Lacrosse case.” “Mr. Nifong did not act as a minister of justice, but as a minister of injustice,” Brocker added. (ABC News)

Deliberations Begin in Duke Prosecutor’s Ethics Case

Mike Nifong gives up law licence

 

Read more

Where are the Heros? Ethics Trial for Nifong Begins for Former Duke LAX Rape Prosecutor … Former Duke Coach Releases Book

From Duke Lacrosse rape case to ethics charges … what a disaster. Duke_LAX

Who would have thought at the outset of the Duke Lacrosse rape story that the final day in court would be the Prosecutor being prosecuted? Sadly, that is what occurs today as Nifong faces ethics charges that could result in his disbarment. Mike Nifong is being brought up on ethics charges for his conduct during the Duke Lacrosse rape case. What will be the outcome, disbarment or business as usual?

In a case where there are so very few hero’s as even those they were not guilty of rape or who claim they  are victims  were guilty of behaving badly. Opportunist and former Duke Lacrosse coach, Mike Pressler, releases his book  “It’s Not About the Truth: The Untold Story of the Duke Lacrosse Rape Case and the Lives It Shattered,” at the same time that the Nifong trial begins. Before Pressler gets on his soap box, acts all high and mighty and further exploits this story for his monetary gain I would ask him to answer one question.

Read more

Next Page →

Support Scared Monkeys! make a donation.

 
 
  • NEWS (breaking news alerts or news tips)
  • Red (comments)
  • Dugga (technical issues)
  • Dana (radio show comments)
  • Klaasend (blog and forum issues)
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Close
E-mail It