CNN’s Rachel Nichols, ESPN’s Michelle Beadle & USA Today writer Martin Rogers Media Credentials Denied by Mayweather’s Promotion Company … All 3 Have Been at the Forefront of Reporting in Mayweather’s History of Domestic Violence
YET ANOTHER REASON WHY I WOULD NEVER PAY FOR THIS FIGHT OE GIVE FLOYD MAYWEATHER A DIME OF MY MONEY …
Imagine that, boxing gets another black eye. Prior to the Mayeather-Pacquiao, three journalists, CNN’s Rachel Nichols, ESPN/HBO’s Michelle Beadle and USA Today writer Martin Rogers have all had their media credentials revoked from tonight’s fight by the Mayweather promotion team. What do all three have in common? They have all been critical and at the forefront of reporting on the domestic violence past of Floyd Mayweather. What class. Mayweather has been convicted 5 times for domestic violence.
What is truly sad, is that Mayweather’s history of abusing woman and history of domestic violence has not hurt the hype of this fight.
I so hope that Manny Pacquiao knocks Mayweather’s block off.
Whether Floyd Mayweather or his promotion company is/was/isn’t/wasn’t banning journalists from covering Saturday’s fight against Manny Pacquiao remains to be sorted out.
CNN’s Rachel Nichols and ESPN’s Michelle Beadle both said as much on Twitter on Saturday morning, only to have a Mayweather spokesperson dispute that and say both are credentialed and blaming the issue mostly to confusion. Beadle, for instance, never applied under ESPN and was part of a block from HBO, which is a business partner of Pacquiao’s.
As with everything in boxing, things are tribal and confusing. We’ll see what’s the truth eventually. Personally, I’m taking whatever Rachel Nichols, in particular, says to the bank.
Also uncertain is the fate of USA Today writer Martin Rogers, whose credential situation has likewise been up in the air this week, although there were procedural and deadline issues with his request.
All three have covered or commented on Mayweather’s lengthy history of domestic abuse allegations, including his two-month stint in the Clark County Detention Center in 2012. Rogers previously wrote for Yahoo Sports, where he, and the rest of the staff, wrote extensively about the issue.
Below is the Rachel Nichols interview with Floyd Mayweather on Domestic Violence
UPDATE I: Last minute back tracking by Mayweather promotions Team after negative press on media credentials being pulled.
Mayweather’s people say it was a misunderstand. BS!
Kelly Swanson, a media relations spokesperson for the Mayweather camp, denied that Nichols and Beadle has lost their credentials.
Later Saturday, Beadle said via Twitter that she was told Friday she was not credentialed and left Las Vegas. She said HBO was able to get her credential approved late Friday night.
Swanson told USA Today: “I’ll take it as a misunderstanding. But Rachel Nichols was never banned from the event. She’s been credentialed the whole time.”
She added: “We didn’t even know until late afternoon who was going to be in the arena. CNN received one seat in the arena, and it was up to them to pick who could go in the arena. We could not make that selection. We let those producers decide who they wanted in that seat. She’s always had a credential.”
OTL Discussion: Floyd Mayweather’s History of Domestic Violence
Keith Olbermann Says, “Time To Draw The Line” … Boycott the NFL Draft (Jameis Winston) and Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Boxing Fight to Show Support Against Domestic Violence
YOU KNOW, I ACTUALLY FIND MYSELF AGREEING FOR THE FIRST TIME WITH KEITH OLBERMANN …
When it comes to politics, Keith Olbermann is a LEFT-wing loon; however, he is spot on with his analysis with sports and domestic violence. In the VIDEO below, Olbermann is reminding Americans with a conscience that you have choices and where we as sports fans and human beings draw the line with regards to domestic violence in this country. This coming Thursday is the NFL Draft and if all mock drafts are correct, Florida State’s QB Jamison Winston will be the #1 pick. An individual who has more issues and baggage, including claims of sexual assault, battery and domestic violence, but the NFL just looks the other way. Winston is currently the defendant in a civil suit, claiming sexual battery, assault, false imprisonment and “intentional infliction of emotional distress arising out of forcible rape.” Then next weekend there is the Mayweather vs. Pacquiao boxing match where Floyd Mayweather’s record of criminal violence against women might be more impressive that his record. Olbermann asks America that it is time to draw the line. ESPN’s Keith Olbermann argued on his show that sports fans can take a stand against domestic violence by boycotting both events.
“The choices are about where we as sports fans, where we as human beings, draw the line about domestic violence in this country. Jameis Winston is still likely to be the No. 1 overall pick in the NFL Draft. Jameis Winston, with an overall public conduct record that makes Johnny Manziel look like a hall monitor, and fresh from making a public excuse for walking out of a supermarket with three pounds of crab legs that is so completely nonsensical that it sounds like it was dreamt up by the crab legs.
The juries have already ruled on Floyd Mayweather, five times. In a report this afternoon on Outside the Lines John Barr told of Floyd Mayweather’s record of criminal violence against women, which cascades down upon you like an avalanche…. You will support this excuse for a man? You will help him continue to behave as if his conduct is acceptable in the 21st century, or the 20th, or the 19th? I won’t.
I actually agree with Keith Olbermann on this one, he is correct.
Former Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter, Who Was Wrongly Convicted of Murder Dies at age 76 of Prostate Cancer in Toronto, Canada
Rubin “Hurricane” Carter, the former middleweight boxing contender who spent 19 year in prison after being wrongly convicted of a triple murder, has died in Toronto, Canada at the age of 76 from prostate cancer. John Artis, a longtime friend and caregiver, said Carter died in his sleep Sunday. Rubin Carter spent 19 years in prison for a triple killing at the Lafayette Bar and Grill in Paterson, New Jersey before a federal judge ruled in 1985 that he and John Artis, who was with Carter on the night of the shootings. His story was made famous by Denzel Washington in the 1999 movie, ‘The Hurricane’ and the Bob Dylan’s 1975 song, ‘Hurricane’. However, truth be known, there was much poetic Hollywood license and fiction in the movie. There was a bit to much of the softening of The Hurricane. But that being said, it does not change the fact that Rubin “Hurricane” Carter had been very wronged by the system. Carter was freed in November 1985 when his convictions were set aside after years of appeals and public advocacy.
Carter, 76, died of complications from prostate cancer, Wahrer said.
“I always remember spending hours and hours with Rubin talking about the wrongful convictions,” she told CNN. “He was a great mentor and teacher. I felt very fortunate to have those times with him. … He lived a very full life.”
Carter spent 19 years in prison for a triple killing in New Jersey before a federal judge ruled in 1985 that he and John Artis, who was with Carter on the night of the shootings, did not receive fair trials and released them.
The Toronto Star: Rubin “Hurricane” Carter dead at 76.
His career as a prized, top middleweight boxer ended abruptly when he was wrongfully convicted of a 1966 triple murder in New Jersey. In 1985 a U.S. judge freed him, ruling that the prosecution had conducted “an appeal to racism rather than reason, concealment rather than disclosure.”
After he was released from prison Carter moved to the Toronto area, where he took up the cause to fight for those who are wrongfully convicted. In 1993 he helped establish the Association in Defence of the Wrongly Convicted, a Toronto-based non-profit.
Toronto lawyer James Lockyer, a founding director of the association said Carter “dominated the room with a mixture of power and humour and decisiveness.”
Lockyer said Carter forged close bonds with the wrongfully accused he worked to free, a lengthy list that included Guy Paul Morin, David Milgaard and Steven Truscott.
“He brought such comfort to them and such inspiration to them to carry on the fight,” Lockyer said.
Whenever the association needed an advocate or a speaker, Carter was the natural choice, he said.
And now for a more truthful depiction of Rubin “Hurricane” Carter, his career, the events of 1966 at the Lafayette Bar and Grill in Paterson, New Jersey, the trial and aftermath … from ESPN Sports Century – Rubin Hurricane Carter.
Sports Century – Rubin Hurricane Carter Part 1 of 3
Sports Century – Rubin Hurricane Carter Part 2 of 3
Sports Century – Rubin Hurricane Carter Part 3 of 3
Well this hardly promises to be like the “Rumble in the Jungle”.
I can see David Buffer providing the pre-fight intro … LET’S GET READY TO STUMBLE!!!!
TMZ is reporting that the a boxing match is on between George Zimmerman and rapper DMX. Yes, that same George Zimmerman. It would appear that Zimmerman and DMX are going to have a 3 round boxing match. Celebrity boxing promoter Damon Feldman says that there were 15,000 applicants who wanted to take ob George Zimmerman, the neighborhood watch volunteer who was found “not guilty” in the shooting death of Trayvon Martin. Really, DMX? Obviously the rapper wants to beat the hell out of Zimmerman, he has made that pretty obvious by his words below. But wouldn’t such a match have been better had Zimmerman been in the ring with Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton? Now that’s a match I would be willing to pay for!
Oh by the way, celebrity boxing match. George Zimmerman is a celebrity, really?
Celebrity boxing promoter Damon Feldman tells us, DMX was selected out of 15,000 applicants … all of whom wanted a piece of Zimmerman in the ring after he issued the open challenge to fight anyone willing to take him.
But no one wanted to beat Zimmerman’s ass more than DMX.
As we first reported, DMX promised to massacre Zimmerman in the ring if he got the chance. To be exact, he said, “I am going to beat the living f**k out him … I am breaking every rule in boxing to make sure I f**k him right up.” He then said he’d literally piss on George’s face.
George Zimmerman better hope Obamacare covers the injuries he is about to get in this beat down.
On a serious note, George … GO AWAY!!!
Oh wait, check this comment out from Al Sharpton regarding the event. Um, this coming from the man who made himself of celebrity and hero from the false rape accusation of of a police officer in the Tawana Brawley case.
We must be very careful not to glorify or in any way sidestep the implications of making someone whose only claim to fame was killing an unarmed, young man named Trayvon Martin into a cultural celebrity or hero,” Sharpton said.
Former Boxing Heavyweight Champ Mike Tyson Condemns ‘Knockout’ Attacks … “I Don’t Know Why They Do It … Maybe They’re Just Evil”
Just how bad is the “Knock Out” game, even former heavyweight boxing champ and former Brooklyn thug condemns it …
In an interview on CNN with Piers Morgan, Mike Tyson weighed in on the “knockout game” attacks that have happened in many cities across the US. In his youth, Mike Tyson was hardly considered a good kid growing up in the Bed-Stuy and the Brownsville sections of Brooklyn.
But when asked, even Iron Mike, the “Baddest man on the planet” did not know why these punks did it. Tyson said, “Maybe they’re just evil. They’re are some evil people out there.”
Mike Tyson: “It doesn’t make any sense. It’s a game to some people. I don’t think it’s cool. I saw them hit a woman, from behind… If I was on a robbing spree, I’d done something like that. But this is just for fun. These guys are just, there’s no purpose of doing that. I saw someone hit a woman I’ve never hit a girl in the face. I just can’t imagine. The only thing I can imagine is that being my daughter or my wife … Maybe they’re just evil. They’re some evil people.”
Tommy Morrison, the former heavyweight champion, and who played the role of Tommy Gunn in “Rocky V” alongside Sylvester Stallone, has died at the age of 44. Morrison died in an Omaha, Nebraska hospital late Sunday night. Morrison died at approximately 11:50 p.m. with his wife, Trisha, beside him. No cause of death was provided. In 1993, Morrison beat Foreman to win the WBO heavyweight title, but by February of 1996, Morrison had tested positive for HIV and his boxing career was over. He had denied he had the disease but was unable to attain a boxing license. His wife also denied the allegations. Morrison finished with a record of 48-3-1 with 42 knockouts.
Holden declined to comment Monday on the cause of Morrison’s death.
“I don’t know what the official cause of death at the hospital will be,” he said.
As reported in USA Today, Morrison’s license was quickly suspended by Nevada, and the ban was, in effect, upheld by every other sanctioning body. Morrison said at a news conference he’d never fight again, blaming his plight on a “permissive, fast and reckless lifestyle.” Sadly, it would appear that his lifestyle never changed.
Tommy Morrison, the former heavyweight champion who stood toe-to-toe with Lennox Lewis and George Foreman and later tested positive for HIV, died Monday. He was 44.
Morrison died Sunday night at a Nebraska hospital, said Tony Holden, his longtime promoter and close friend. The family would not disclose the cause of death.
In 1993, Morrison beat Foreman to win the WBO heavyweight title, only to lose it to unheralded Michael Bentt in a defeat that scuttled a showdown with Lewis. Morrison would fight Lewis a couple of years later, getting knocked out in the sixth round in Atlantic City, N.J.
Former Boxing World Champ Hector ‘Macho’ Camacho Dead at Age 50 After Taken Off Life Support Following Shooting in Puerto Rico
Former world boxing champion Hector “Macho” Camacho is dead at the age of 50 as he was taken off of life support after having been unconscious are ruled clinically brain-dead following the drive by shooting in Puerto Rico. The police have stated that two men fled the scene in a sport utility vehicle, but that no arrests had been made. Camacho won super lightweight, lightweight and junior welterweight world titles in the 1980s and fought high-profile bouts against Felix Trinidad, Julio Cesar Chavez and Sugar Ray Leonard while compiling a career record of 79-6-3. Camacho also battled drug, alcohol and other problems throughout his life. There were hardly any boxers during his day that were more attention-grabbing than Camacho and his ring antics and attire were legendary.
Hector “Macho” Camacho, a former world champion boxer, died on Saturday at the hospital in Puerto Rico where he has been unconscious since he was shot in the face in an attack in his hometown.
Camacho, 50, went into cardiac arrest in the pre-dawn hours and he was then taken off life support and died shortly thereafter, said Dr Ernesto Torres, the director of the Centro Medico trauma center in San Juan.
The boxer was known for his skill and flamboyance in the ring as well as for a messy personal life and run-ins with the police out of it.
From the NY Times, Hector Camacho, 50, Boxer Who Lived Dangerously, Dies.
The police said that Camacho was shot in the left side of the face on Tuesday night as he sat in a black Ford Mustang with a friend, The Associated Press reported. The bullet fractured his vertebrae and was lodged in his shoulder when he was taken to the Puerto Rico Medical Center. The friend, Adrian Mojica Moreno, was also killed.
The police said that two men fled the scene in a sport utility vehicle, but that no arrests had been made. They said nine bags of cocaine were found in Moreno’s pockets and a 10th was found open in the car.
Former World Boxing Champion Hector “Macho” Camacho Shot in Face in Critical Condition in Puerto Rico (Update: Camacho Ruled Braindead)
Former world boxing champion Hector “Macho” Camacho is in critical condition but expected to survive as he was shot in the face in a drive by shooting while sitting in his car in Bayamon, Puerto Rico. The driver of Comacho’s vehicle was fatally shot and killed. Camacho was shot in the jaw while riding as a passenger in a car on Tuesday night and is listed in critical condition at Centro Medico in San Juan. According to hospital reports, The former champ was struck once in the left jaw and the bullet traveled down his neck and lodged in his right shoulder. The bullet fractured his 5th and 6th cervical vertebrae. Police have one suspect is in custody.
Former world boxing champion Hector “Macho” Camacho was shot in the face as he sat in a car outside the Puerto Rican capital Tuesday, and doctors said he was in serious condition but expected to survive.
Another man in the car, whose relationship to the 50-year-old Camacho wasn’t immediately known, died in the attack in which at least one gunman opened fire on their vehicle in the city of Bayamon, according to a statement from police.
Camacho was rushed to Centro Medico, the trauma center in San Juan, where he was in critical but stable condition, Dr. Ernesto Torres, the hospital director, told reporters.
The bullet apparently struck him in the jaw but exited his head and lodged in his right shoulder and fractured two vertebrae, Torres said. The doctor said the boxer, who was trailed by drug and alcohol problems during a career that included some high-profile bouts, could be paralyzed from the shooting.
Three-time world boxing champion Hector “Macho” Camacho is brain dead following a drive-by shooting in Puerto Rico, a doctor said on Thursday. Camacho, 50, whose speed and flamboyance made him a top attraction in the 1980s and 1990s, is in a coma and unresponsive, said Dr. Ernesto Torres, director of the Rio Piedras Medical Center. Camacho “is clinically brain dead,” Torres told reporters. “The tests showed a flat line, without any type of activity.”