Kate Steinle Murder Trial by Illegal Immigrant Begins … Opening Statements & Emotional Testimony From Father
MAKE NO MISTAKE ABOUT IT, KATE STEINLE WOULD BE ALIVE TODAY IF A PREVIOUSLY DEPORTED ILLEGAL ALIEN WAS NOT ALLOWED TO LIVE AND BE PROTECTED BY THE SANCTUARY CITY OF SAN FRANSISCO …
The Kate Steinle murder trial began yesterday. Opening statements have begun in the trial of an illegal immigrant Mexican man accused of fatally shooting an innocent legal U.S. female citizen on a San Francisco pier two years ago. The case set off a national immigration debate during last year’s presidential race on sanctuary cities and crimes committed against U.S. citizens. Illegal immigrant, 45 year old Jose Ines Garcia Zarate, has plead not guilty and while his attorneys claimed it was an accident.What is not in dispute is the following, Garcia Zarate had been deported five times and was homeless in San Francisco when he shot the 32-year-old Steinle. The illegal immigrant, who had no business being in the United States, had recently completed a prison sentence for illegal re-entry to the U.S. when he was transferred to the San Francisco County jail to face a 20-year-old marijuana charge. Prosecutors dropped that charge, and the San Francisco sheriff released Zarate from jail despite a federal immigration request to detain him for at least two more days for deportation. Maybe San Francisco should be put on trial for Kate Steinle’s death as well.
Kate Steinle (left) – Jose Ines Garcia Zarate (Rt)
The undocumented immigrant accused of shooting and killing Pleasanton native Kate Steinle was aiming toward her and knew what he was doing, a prosecutor argued Monday at the start of a politically charged murder case that sparked a nationwide debate over immigration policy.
But a defense attorney said Steinle’s death was the result of an accidental gunshot and a “freakish ricochet” of the bullet that struck her.
The trial of Jose Ines Garcia Zarate, who allegedly shot 32-year-old Steinle on San Francisco’s Pier 14 in July 2015, kicked off on Monday with opening statements and brief but emotional testimony from Steinle’s father, who was walking with her during the shooting.
The closely watched case has attracted national attention because of its connection to immigration policy — Garcia Zarate, a Mexican citizen, was released from a San Francisco jail two and a half months before the shooting instead of being deported because of the city’s sanctuary city policy. Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump and other conservatives seized on the shooting as an argument for tougher immigration laws.
Garcia Zarate, 45, has pleaded not guilty to second-degree murder, and his lawyers argue that the shooting was an accident — a single shot that ricocheted off the pier into Steinle’s back. The prosecution will try to convince jurors that Garcia Zarate shot recklessly at people, the standard necessary for a second-degree conviction.
Assistant District Attorney Diana Garcia started her at times dramatic opening statement by lifting up the gun, a plastic tag through its trigger.
UPDATE I: Father recalls shooting that killed daughter.
Through tears, the father of a woman killed on a San Francisco pier says he was walking with his daughter and a family friend when he heard a loud bang.
Jim Steinle testified Monday that his daughter Kate threw her arms open around him and asked for help before collapsing.
He says he rolled her onto her side and could see a bullet hole in her back. He says there was little blood.
During his campaign, President Donald Trump cited the shooting as a reason to toughen U.S. immigration policies.
Jim Steinle was the first witness to testify in the murder trial of Jose Ines Garcia Zarate.
He testified for about 10 minutes and Garcia Zarate’s lawyer declined to question him.
This has everything to do with sanctuary cities like San Fransisco and the allowing of illegals in the United States, protecting them and affording then rights as if they were U.S. citizens. If the family of Kate Steinle is not provided justice, there will be a backlash in the United States like the LEFT and sanctuary cities have ever seen. Make no mistake about it, NO JUSTICE … NO PEACE at the ballot boxes in 2018 or 2020.
TALK ABOUT YOUR FRIVOLOUS LAW SUITS …
NFL free agent QB Colin Kaepernick has filed a grievance against NFL owners accusing them of collusion by not signing him to play and keeping him out of the leauge. REALLY? It is you who have kept yourself out of the leauge my son. There is no guarantee that you are allowed to play. No one is forced to sign you. Every team has made their decisions independently. No one had to collude when it came to having a cancer on the team. There are plenty of former players that had more talent than you who never go another chance to play and they hardly brought the division and three ring circus to the mix. The NFL has not fired any of the players who continue to take a knee and disrespect the national anthem, flag and the brave men and women who have fought for our freedoms. Even though it is in their right to do so. The position of QB is much more than just talent. I would question any organization that would knowingly bring in such a divisive cancer like Kaepernick who would split a locker room and a fan base to the point of no return. Or how about the fact, he really is not that good, especially since his game has been figured out by opposing D’s.. This is not collusion, its good business. Colin, there is always Canada.
By the way, wasn’t it Kaepernick who restructured his contract with the 49ers and opted out of his contract himself to become a free agent. Talk about your frivolous law suits. By when your attorney is Mark Geragos, what would one expect. What’s the matter Lisa Bloom, Gloria Allred were unavailable?
Kaepernick and his attorneys accuse NFL teams of displaying “unusual and bizarre behavior” during the 2017 offseason, according to the court documents originally obtained by ABC News.
“Multiple NFL head coaches and general managers stated that they wanted to sign Mr. Kaepernick, only to mysteriously go silent with no explanation and no contract offer made to Mr. Kaepernick,” the complaint reads. “Other NFL teams stated they had no interest in Mr. Kaepernick and refused to explain why.”
The court filings also mention President Trump’s comments at a rally in Alabama last month, in which he referred to NFL players who kneel during the anthem as “sons of bitches.”
Kaepernick’s complaint says Trump and Vice President Mike Pence have “engaged in various public relations stunts designed to retaliate against Mr. Kaepernick and other players that have joined in Kaepernick’s peaceful protest.”
The complaint calls Trump “an organizing force in the collusion among team owners in their conduct towards” Kaepernick, and claims NFL owners have described Trump’s administration as “causing paradigm shifts in their views toward NFL players.”
Really, President Trump’s call for the SOB’s that stand to be fired caused a shift of NFL owners toward players? Why yes it did, it caused owners to insanely support the players and take a knee with them. This is a completely frivolous grievance. You made your bed Colin, there are consequences to one’s actions and it does not take collusion to not sign you, just common sense.
WOW, THIS DUDE THINKS A LOT OF HIMSELF … ACTUALLY ERIC NOTORIETY IS NOT A GOOD THING.
Republicans be fearful, former Obama attorney general Eric Holder is considering a run for the White House in 2020. According to Yahoo News, Holder believes that he has a certain status as the former attorney general and a certain familiarity as the first African-American attorney general. HUH? These liberals are legends in their own minds. Most people probably have no clue who Holder is and could care less that he was the first black attorney general. It appears he is going to try and use his Obama coattails and be a part of the resistance to gain favor with the LEFT. These Lefties just cannot go away after they lose. Most individuals remember Holder for being a part of the gun running disaster known as Fast & Furious and the fact that he was held in contempt of Congress. Then as Legal Insurrection reminds us there was that little incident where he refused to prosecute the Black Panthers for voter intimidation.
More than two years after leaving the Obama administration, former Attorney General Eric Holder is reentering the political fray.
His goal: to lead the legal resistance to Donald Trump’s agenda — and perhaps even run against the president in 2020.
Seized by a sense of urgency to oppose Trump and restore what he regards as America’s best self, Holder is mulling a White House bid of his own, according to three sources who have spoken to him and are familiar with his thinking.
“Up to now, I have been more behind-the-scenes,” Holder told Yahoo News in an exclusive interview about his plans. “But that’s about to change. I have a certain status as the former attorney general. A certain familiarity as the first African-American attorney general. There’s a justified perception that I’m close to President Obama. So I want to use whatever skills I have, whatever notoriety I have, to be effective in opposing things that are, at the end of the day, just bad for the country.
But Monday’s event was also something bigger: a coming-out party of sorts for a figure who sees his work in California as a springboard to a new role as the key legal architect — and one of the major public faces — of the nationwide progressive pushback against President Trump.
Rarely mentioned as a 2020 contender and controversial while in office, Holder would enter any Democratic primary contest as a long shot. Even his engagement with the resistance is something of a surprise. For most of his career, Holder was seen as a conventional, mild-mannered figure. But he grew more pugnacious as attorney general, in part because Republicans never stopped attacking him, and he wound up pursuing a sharply progressive agenda during Obama’s second term.
Eric Holder left office with a 26% approval rating. In his mind he thinks he is the next voice of the Democrat party. What a delusional world these Libs really do live in. All we have to say is RUN, ERIC, RUN!!!
Judge Steve T. O’Neill Declares Mistrial in Bill Cosby Sex-Assault Trial … Prosecutor Steele Said He Will Retry Cosby
THIS WAS EXPECTED AS THE JURY CONTINUES TO BE DEADLOCKED, DAY AFTER DAY AFTER DAY …
The judge in the Bill Cosby sexual assault trial has declared a mistrial. The jury could not reach a decision and as they have been for days. In their sixth day of deliberations, jurors sent word to Judge Steve T. O’Neill that they could not reach a unanimous verdict and the are “hopelessly deadlocked.” Afterwards, prosecutor Kevin Steele announced in court that he will retry Cosby. Good luck, because this was not a strong case. There is a reason why this jury was hopelessly deadlocked. However, this is hardly a victory for Bill Cosby. His image is forever tarnished and whether he was found guilty or not in this case, there are too may other women who have come forward for innocence to be declared. This might be one of these moments to fade into anonymity and not gloat.
A Pennsylvania judge declared a mistrial Saturday after a jury was “hopelessly deadlocked” on sexual-assault charges against Bill Cosby, the comic legend whose legacy as a promoter of wholesome values has been tarnished by a years-long sex and drugging scandal.
As the mistrial was declared, Cosby sat at the defense table with his chin held high, a flat, blank look on his face. Across the well of the courtroom, jurors stood one-by-one in the jury box and said, “Yes,” as the judge asked whether each whether they agreed that the jury is “hopelessly deadlocked.”
The jurors answered without hesitation, but several slumped forward in their chairs, elbows on their knees and fingers knit, looks of frustration on their faces.
After the questioning was done, the entertainer sat back in his chair, holding a slender cane that has been with him inside the courtroom each day to his chest. Cosby’s family was not in the courtroom to hear the judge’s decision.
The jury filed out almost within arm’s reach of Andrea Constand, Cosby’s accuser. She stood respectfully, with a strained smile on her face. Afterwards, prosecutor Kevin Steele announced in court that he will retry Cosby.
UPDATE I: Civil Lawsuit awaits.
Although Bill Cosby’s sexual assault trial ended in a mistrial on Saturday, his legal problems persist as he faces assault and defamation claims in civil lawsuits, where the bar for evidence is lower than in criminal cases.
In civil lawsuits in the United States, plaintiffs need only show that the weight of evidence is on their side, meaning they have information to tip the scales above 50 percent in their favor, as opposed to criminal cases in which prosecutors must prove claims beyond a reasonable doubt.
He accused Allred, a high-profile women’s rights attorney from Los Angeles, of conspiring against Cosby.
“For all those attorneys who conspired – like Gloria Allred – tell them to go back to law school and take another class,” he said.
Allred, who was not the principal attorney for plaintiff Andrea Constand, held a press conference outside the courthouse with other Cosby accusers.