The New York Times is reporting that US Special Forces are said to have been involved today in two raids in Africa, one in Somalia and the other in Libya. Special Forces in Libya are said to have captured Nazih Abdul-Hamed al-Ruqai and known as Abu Anas al-Liby. The al Qaeda leader was wanted for his role in the deadly 1998 bombings of two U.S. embassies in Africa.
In the second raid, US Navy Seals in Somalia targeted a senior leader of the Shabab, the Somali terrorist group who has planned the terror attack a little over a week ago at a Nairobi shopping mall that killed more than 60 people.
American commandos carried out raids on Saturday in two far-flung African countries in a powerful flex of military muscle aimed at capturing fugitive terrorist suspects. American troops assisted by F.B.I. and C.I.A. agents seized a suspected leader of Al Qaeda on the streets of Tripoli, Libya, while Navy SEALs raided the seaside villa of a militant leader in a predawn firefight on the coast of Somalia.
In Tripoli, American forces captured a Libyan militant who had been indicted in 2000 for his role in the 1998 bombings of the United States embassies in Kenya and Tanzania. The militant, born Nazih Abdul-Hamed al-Ruqai and known by his nom de guerre, Abu Anas al-Liby, had a $5 million bounty on his head; his capture at dawn ended a 15-year manhunt.
In Somalia, the Navy SEAL team emerged before sunrise from the Indian Ocean and exchanged gunfire with militants at the home of a senior leader of the Shabab, the Somali militant group. The raid was planned more than a week ago, officials said, after a massacre by the Shabab at a Nairobi shopping mall that killed more than 60 people two weeks ago.
UPDATE I: As reported at Legal Insurrection, there there is conflicting news regarding the raids, news outlets are confirming that an Al Shabaab leader was a target of the raid, reports about whether or not that target was captured or killed are conflicting.
U.S. special forces on Saturday carried out a raid in the Libyan capital to capture an al-Qaeda leader linked to the 1998 American Embassy bombings in East Africa and wanted by the United States for more than a decade, U.S. officials said. The news of the capture was previously confirmed by CBS News.
The Pentagon identified the al-Qaeda leader as Nazih Abdul-Hamed al-Ruqai, known by his alias Anas al-Libi. His capture would represent a significant blow to what remains of the core al-Qaeda organization once led by Osama bin Laden.
The Pentagon’s chief spokesman George Little said al-Libi “is currently lawfully detained by the U.S. military in a secure location outside of Libya.” He did not disclose further details.
A senior U.S. military official said the raid was carried out by the U.S. Army’s Delta Force, which has responsibility for counterterrorism operations in North Africa. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the official was not authorized to speak publicly.
GOP Senatorial Candidate Gabriel Gomez Calls Democrat Opponent Rep. Ed Markey “Pond Scum” After Being Compared to Osama Bin Laden
Massachusetts US Senate Race: With all due respect to pond scum …
Massachusetts Republican Senate candidate Gabriel Gomez called opponent Rep. Ed Markey (D-MA) “pond scum” during a recent interview. Gomez did so in a response to a question regarding a dirty and disgusting ad where his opponent Ed Markey compared Gomez, a former Navy SEAL, to Osama bin Laden in an internet video that placed their images side-by-side. As Gomez stated during his interview, maybe Markey does doe realize that it was Navy Seals who actually killed Bin Laden? The internet video is truly reprehensible. For Markey to put out his first video comparing Gomez to Bin Laden, because Gomez was critical of President Obama because they released so much classified information on the Navy Seals regarding the raid that killed Bin Laden that puts the troops in harms way.
“I don’t think there’s anything more offensive,” Gomez said. “You know I’ve got four young kids,
and they gotta sit there and gotta see an ad with their dad — who served honorably,
talk to anybody I served with — whether as a pilot or as a SEAL, anybody I worked with.
And for him to be as dirty and low, pond scum, like to put me up next to bin Laden,
he’s just gotta be called what he is. It’s that simple.”
Gomez went on to say, Congressman Markey has been around for 40 years, he know what he is doing. Hmm, I thought we honored Navy Seals who defend America’s freedoms and liberties. Guess not when it comes to Massachusetts liberal Ed Markey. Is this what we need in the US Senate? Funny how Barack Obama used the death of Bin Laden and the heroic efforts of our US Navy Seals for his political advantage and his photo-op of Obama in the “Situation Room” yet Obama was no where to be found when the Benghazi Consulate was being attacked by terrorists, Ambassador Stevens was missing and they were begging for help.
Former Navy SEAL Chris Kyle Shot Dead at Texas Shooting Range … Suspect Eddie Ray Routh Arrested & Charged with Two Counts of Murder
A real American hero is dead.
Chris Kyle, a former U.S. Navy SEAL and the US sniper credited with the largest number of confirmed kills, was one of two people fatally shot at a North Texas shooting range Saturday. Kyle recorded more than 150 sniper kills, the most in U.S. military history. It is being reported that Kyle was shot a point blank range as Kyle was working with a veteran at the time of the shooting. The shooting occurred in Erath County, Texas, some 50 miles from Fort Worth. Chris Kyle is the author of the New York Times best selling book, ‘American Sniper’. Chad Littlefield was also killed. Eddie Ray Routh of Lancaster was arraigned early Sunday on two counts of capital murder in the deaths of Kyle and Littlefield.
Chris Kyle, a former U.S. Navy SEAL credited with the largest number of confirmed kills, was one of two people fatally shot at a North Texas shooting range Saturday, Texas Highway Patrol confirmed to Fox News.
Eddie Ray Routh of Lancaster was arraigned early Sunday on two counts of capital murder in the deaths of Kyle, 38, and Chad Littlefield, 35, at the shooting range about 50 miles southwest of Fort Worth.
Capt. Jason Upshaw with the Erath County Sheriff’s Office said Routh used a semi-automatic handgun, which authorities later found at his home. Upshaw said ballistics tests weren’t complete Sunday, but authorities believe the gun was used in the shootings. Upshaw declined to give any more details about the gun.
CNN: Ex-Navy sniper, another military vet killed at Texas gun range
UPDATE I: For Breitbart.com comes the following to this sad story.
A close friend tells Breitbart News that Chris Kyle was at a veterans’ charity event, helping a fellow military member learn sniper shooting technique, and that he was shot by a Marine suffering from post-traumatic stress syndrome. The suspect, Eddie Ray Routh, has been arrested in Lancaster, Texas in connection with the shooting.
Mother of Slain State Department Employee Sean Patrick Smith Blames Obama for Sons Death … “I believe that Obama murdered my son”
Another parent blames the death of their Seal son on Barack Obama and he continues to stonewall. Patricia Smith, the mother of deceased State Department employee Sean Patrick Smith, stated “I believe that Obama murdered my son.”
Patricia Smith, the mother of slain State Department employee Sean Patrick Smith, is now blaming President Barack Obama for her son’s death.
“I believe that Obama murdered my son,” she said Thursday from the living room of her Clairemont home. “I firmly believe this.”
Patricia Smith, who voted for Obama in 2008 at the insistence of her son, said reporting by Fox News is the basis for much of her belief that Obama is ultimately responsible for her son’s death. She said Sean, who went to Mission Bay High School but lived abroad, was a fervent supporter of the president.
These words echo the sentiments of the father of slain US Navy Seal Tyrone Woods who also believes that Obama is responsible fro the death of his son. However, the president has refused to provide any details of what he knew and when he knew it. Instead, Obama is running out the clock on the 2012 election. What a Commander in Chief.
Benghazi-Gate: Unbelievable, Key Terror Task Force, Counterterrorism Security Group (CSG), Not Convened During Benghazi Consulate Attack
BARACK OBAMA … EPIC FAILURE AS COMMANDER IN CHIEF.
Is this the email that Newt Gingrich mentioned the other night that news outlets were rumored to have and they are damning to Obama and his incompetence and dereliction of duty in handling Benghazi.
As reported at CBS News, counterterrorism sources and internal emails express frustration that key responders were ready to deploy, but were not called upon to help in the attack. The emails are said to have come from unidentified sources in the State department, the U.S. military and the Justice Department. Hmm, think these folks are tired of being thrown under the bus by Obama and his stonewalling of what really happened?
CBS News has learned that during the Sept. 11 attack on the U.S. Mission in Benghazi, the Obama Administration did not convene its top interagency counterterrorism resource: the Counterterrorism Security Group, (CSG).
“The CSG is the one group that’s supposed to know what resources every agency has. They know of multiple options and have the ability to coordinate counterterrorism assets across all the agencies,” a high-ranking government official told CBS News. “They were not allowed to do their job. They were not called upon.”
Information shared with CBS News from top counterterrorism sources in the government and military reveal keen frustration over the U.S. response on Sept. 11, the night Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans were killed in a coordinated attack on the U.S. Consulate in Libya.
The question is, how could the Counterterrorism Security Group not be convened after such an attack at Benghazi that the WH et all saw in real time? As Weasil Zippers says, I guess the terror experts were not convened because Obama had decimated al-Qaeda. Sure he did.
As to why the Counterterrorism Security Group was not convened, National Security Council Spokesman Tommy Vietor told CBS News “From the moment the President was briefed on the Benghazi attack, the response effort was handled by the most senior national security officials in governments. Members of the CSG were of course involved in these meetings and discussions to support their bosses.”
Absent coordination from Counterterrorism Security Group, a senior U.S. counterterrorism official says the response to the crisis became more confused. The official says the FBI received a call during the attack representing Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and requesting agents be deployed. But he and his colleagues agreed the agents “would not make any difference without security and other enablers to get them in the country and synch their efforts with military and diplomatic efforts to maximize their success.”
Let’s remember Obama’s so called promise to get to the bottom of what happened, or did not as the case may be. Obama stated that people would be held responsible and that he has also claimed that “the minute [he] found out what was going on” he issued a directive to “make sure we are securing our personnel and doing whatever we need to do.” As reported at NRO, the latest reports, though, suggest otherwise.
On Friday, Fox News reported that CIA operators in a position to provide air support were told to “stand down.” Now, Eli Lake reports that the State Department did not request backup on the night the attacks took place. Why?
More from the Lonely Conservative, the CIA is now saying that they sent in operatives to Libya to save the diplomats. Hmm, why now are they saying it with mere days before the election?
Yes, Benghazi-Gate makes Watergate pale in comparison.
Posted November 2, 2012 by Scared Monkeys
assasination, Barack Obama, Benghazi-Gate, CBS, Epic Fail, Islam/Muslims, Libya, Libyan Consulate - Amb. Stevens, Media, Misrepresentation, Murder, Obamanation, Politics, Radical Islam, Scandal, Terrorism, The Lying King, Transparency, US Navy Seals, War on Terror, WTF | 2 comments
- That they MAY have emails from the administration commanding counter terrorism group to stand down on Benghazi rescue
LVRJ Rips Obama over Benghazi Terrorist Blunder, Lies and Cover Up … Obama unworthy commander-in-chief
No truer words have ever been spoken … the Las Vegas Review Journal reports that President Barack Obama is unworthy of being Commander in Chief.
The LVRJ blast Barack Obama for his handling of the Benghazi attacks that gave rise to the death of four Americans including US Ambassador Stevens. The Obama administration botched Benghazi before, during and after the attacks. We are always very critical of the MSM; however, we give kudos when it is deserved. It certainly is here.
The Obama administration sat by doing nothing for seven hours that night, ignoring calls to dispatch help from our bases in Italy, less than two hours away. It has spent the past seven weeks stretching the story out, engaging in misdirection and deception involving supposed indigenous outrage over an obscure anti-Muslim video, confident that with the aid of a docile press corps this infamous climax to four years of misguided foreign policy can be swept under the rug, at least until after Tuesday’s election.
I have to admit I am impressed by the LVRJ and their extremely truthful accounts of this story and Obama’s failure as Commander in Chief. However, the MSM has all but avoided it, namely the TV media. Instead of providing answers to things that he knows first hand, Obama has dodged the questions so the the outcome is done after the election. Is that what we need as a Commander in Chief, a president that would hold off on the truth of the death of 4 Americans for his own political gain?
Not only did the White House do nothing, there are now reports that a counterterrorism team ready to launch a rescue mission was ordered to stand down.
Read the full story HERE, it is an eye opener, especially coming from the MSM. Could this have an affect in Nevada voting? The end result is that Obama has lost the right yo be president.
Newt Gingrich Says There is a Rumor that Two Major Networks Are Holding Emails From White House Canceling Plans to Assist Benghazi Heroes on 9-11
This could be big if it is released before the Presidential election and if true. However, it would surprise no one.
Last night Newt Gingrich told Greta Van Susteren that there is a rumors he heard from a “credible” Senator that two major news networks have emails proving the Barack Obama White House canceled plans to assist US personnel on the ground in Benghazi on 9-11-12.
From The Daily Caller:On Tuesday night’s “On the Record with Greta Van Susteren” on the Fox News Channel, former House Speaker Newt Gingrich said that major news networks might have secret emails proving that the White House canceled plans to assist the besieged U.S. consulate in Benghazi.
Gingrich said that the bombshell emails could be revealed within the next two days.
“There is a rumor — I want to be clear, it’s a rumor — that at least two networks have emails from the National Security Adviser’s office telling a counterterrorism group to stand down,” Gingrich said. “But they were a group in real-time trying to mobilize marines and C-130s and the fighter aircraft, and they were told explicitly by the White House stand down and do nothing. This is not a terrorist action. If that is true, and I’ve been told this by a fairly reliable U.S. senator, if that is true and comes out, I think it raises enormous questions about the president’s role, and Tom Donilon, the National Security Adviser’s role, the Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta, who has taken it on his own shoulders, that he said don’t go. And that is, I think, very dubious, given that the president said he had instructions they are supposed to do everything they could to secure American personnel.”
Charles Woods, Father of Slain Navy SEAL Tyrone Woods Says to Obama: “Better to die the death of a hero than it is to live the life of a coward”
No truer words have ever been spoken …
As reported at The Daily Caller, Charles Woods, the father of murdered Navy Seal Tyrone Woods stated on Fox News ‘Geraldo At Large’ last night that President Barack Obama did not do all that he could of to prevent the death of his son and three others including Ambassidor Stevens. All four were murdered by terrorists in Benghazi, Libya as the consulate was over run by terrorists.
And remember this, Mr. President: My son and the others died heroes and it’s better to die the death of a hero than it is to live the life of a coward.
American Hero, Navy Seal Tyrone Woods
Woods has been highly critical of Obama and his administrations efforts or lack thereof, that he [Obama] did not do enough to prevent his son’s death. Woods poses the question, what would have happened if such an assault occurred on American soil? Remember, a consulate and embassy id considered American soil.
“Any attack on an American consulate is an attack on American soil. There were American citizens that were attacked for seven hours on American soil a couple thousand miles away from Washington,
“My question of the president would be this: Your Honor, I respect your office as president. But if this attack on American citizens, on American soil, happened 2,000 miles away from Washington, D.C. — say in Los Angeles or in Seattle — would you have waited seven hours before you sent the first airplane? Would you have waited seven hours until the attack was over? Would you have waited a couple of days until you had all of the videos and all the information before you responded in a responsible military way?”
Charles Woods has been highly critical of Obama and has asked for answers as to why no one pulled the trigger and helped his son when the repeatedly asked for help and were denied. Instead, Obama has done nothing but dodge questions. Sadly, we have a Commander in Chief that is more concerned with politics and reelection at all cost than he is providing answers to the family of an American hero.
Instead Obama and his minions initially and for weeks blamed the the murders on a video tape.
A fathers rage who has been lied to and demands answers … calls the Obama Administration “cowards” and “murderers”.
Charlie Woods, the father of former Navy SEAL Tyrone Woods who was killed in Benghazi on September 11, 2012 made his feelings very well known yesterday when he appeared on Fox News ‘America Live’ with Megyn Kelly.
Charlie Woods blames the Obama administration for the death of his son … “They Murdered My Son”.
VIDEO Hat Tip: The Gateway Pundit
“I don’t know much about weapons but it’s coming out right now that they actually had laser focused on the mortars that were being sent to kill my son. And they refused to pull the trigger.They refused to send in those AC-130s. To me, I’m an attorney, this may not be the legal test of murder. But to me that is not only cowardice, but those people who made the decision and who knew about the decision and lied about it, are murderers of my son.“
The despicable liberal MSM has all but ignored this story as to uncover the truth would be to harm their Obamamessiah and his bid for reelection. Shameful, simply shameful.