Two Teen Juveniles Charged with Arson in Tennessee Wildfires that Left 14 People Dead … Might Be Charged as Adults
Two teen juveniles have been charged with aggravated arson in connection with the wildfires that tore through Eastern Tennessee, including Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge, that killed 14 people and damaging or destroying hundreds of buildings and properties. It is not known yet whether the two teens will be charged as adults. According to 4th District Attorney General James Dunn, additional charges are being considered, including the possibility of seeking a transfer to adult criminal court. The youths were from Tennessee, but not from Sevier County, where the fires started. At this time, there is no additional information about the youths was made available, including their age and gender.
The question is … should these two juveniles be charged as adults for the crimes, deaths and wide spread damage they caused?
Two juveniles have been charged with aggravated arson in connection with the wildfires that ravaged two East Tennessee resort towns last week, killing 14 people and leaving nearly 150 others injured and damaging or destroying hundreds of properties, authorities said Wednesday.
During an investigation involving local, state and federal agents, “information was developed that two juveniles allegedly started the fire” that roared through Great Smoky Mountains National Park before spreading into Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge, the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation said in a news release.
Both were taken into custody Wednesday and are being held at the Sevier County Juvenile Detention Center.
The suspects are Tennessee residents, District Attorney General Jimmy B. Dunn said at a news conference in Sevierville. No additional information about the youths was made available, including their age and gender.
Two Ohio Football Players (Trent Mays & Ma’lik Richmond) Found Guilty of Raping a 16 Year Old West Virginia Girl
BREAKING NEWS … TWO FOOTBALL PLAYER FOUND GUILTY IN THE RAPE OF 16 YEAR OLD WEST VIRGINIA GIRL …
From the AP:
Two members of the high school football team that is the pride of Steubenville were found guilty Sunday of raping a drunken 16-year-old girl in a case that bitterly divided the Rust Belt city and led to accusations of a cover-up to protect the community’s athletes.
Steubenville High School students Trent Mays and Ma’Lik Richmond face a possible sentence of detention in juvenile jail until they turn 21, capping a case that came to light via a barrage of morning-after text messages, social media posts and online photos and video.
The verdict is finally in for the much publicized rape trial of two Steubenville, Ohio, high school football players. Judge Thomas Lipps announced his decision that 17 year old Trent Mays and 16 year old Ma’lik Richmond were … GUILTY!!! The Judge found the two teens delinquent in Steubenville rape case. The two boys were tried in juvenile court and with being found guilty on all counts will only be spending time in jail until they are 21 years of age. After their release the two would likely have to register as sex-offenders.
The much-publicized rape trial of two Steubenville, Ohio, high school football players accused of assaulting an intoxicated 16-year-old West Virginia girl ended Saturday. Judge Thomas Lipps says he will announce his verdict Sunday after reviewing evidence from the four-day trial, the Associated Press reports.
Trent Mays, 17, and Ma’lik Richmond, 16, are charged in juvenile court with raping the girl after a party last summer. Both maintain their innocence. If found guilty they could be held in juvenile jail until they turn 21.
From CNN: Two teens found guilty in Ohio rape case.
Judge Thomas Lipps announced his decision after reviewing evidence presented over four days of testimony in the case against 17-year-old Trent Mays and 16-year-old Ma’lik Richmond, who were tried as juveniles.
Mays and Richmond were tried before Lipps, a visiting judge, without a jury. The trial moved quickly — and through the weekend — to accommodate the judge’s schedule.
This rape case not only drew national attention from the heinous nature of the crime and the caught on video of defendants bragging of the rape, but also former porn star Traci Lords says she was raped as a 10 year old in Steubenville, OH.