Search Continues for Missing US Cargo Ship El Faro Caught in Hurricane Joaquin … 28 Americans Aboard Cargo Ship

The search continues for the missing US flagged cargo ship El Faro which left Jacksonville, Florida, en route to Puerto Rico on Tuesday.  According to accounts, at 7:20 a.m. Thursday, the Coast Guard said it received notification that the ship had lost propulsion and had a 15-degree list as the ship was caught in the middle of Hurricane Joaquin. There has been no communication with the ship since. There are 33 crew members aboard the cargo ship, 28 of which are Americans that is currently lost at sea.


ABC Breaking News | Latest News Videos

Search crews are continuing to look for a U.S. cargo ship caught in Hurricane Joaquin, one day after a life ring from the ship was found.

U.S. Coast Guard, Navy and Air Force planes and helicopters are looking for the El Faro across a broad expanse of the Atlantic Ocean around Crooked Island today. They resumed their efforts at first light.

The U.S. Coast Guard found a life ring Saturday – the first trace of El Faro. The discovery serves as validation that search crews are in the right area.

Two additional life rings have been found, the Coast Guard said, but it’s unclear if they belonged to the ship.

The 790-foot cargo ship vanished 72 hours ago, near the eye of Hurricane Joaquin. The ship is carrying 28 U.S. citizens, as well as five Polish nationals.

El Faro was traveling from Jacksonville, Florida to San Juan, Puerto Rico as Joaquin churned over the Atlantic Ocean. The ship sent a distress signal at 7:20 a.m. Thursday saying it had lost electricity, was taking on water and listing at 15 degrees.

UPDATE I: Search for missing cargo ship in Bahamas enters third day.

Search-and-rescue crews found three life rings in waters to the northeast of Crooked Island in the Bahamas, about 75 miles (120 km) from the ship’s last known position before it went missing, the Coast Guard said on Sunday.

The Coast Guard confirmed that one of the life rings was from the El Faro.

“Because we found a life ring doesn’t tell us anything more than that we are searching in the right area,” said Coast Guard spokesman Petty Officer Bobby Nash.

The Coast Guard and U.S. Air Force sent out four C-130 search and rescue planes at dawn on Sunday, and at least one Coast Guard ship was headed to the area, Nash said.

Embattled NBC News Anchor Brian Williams Taking Leave of Absence Amid Iraq Faux Helicopter Story … Is This the Beginning of the End?

 THE END MAY BE NEAR … NBC NEWS ANCHOR BRIAN WILLIAMS STEPPING ASIDE TEMPORARILY FROM NBC NIGHTLY NEWS …

Lying Brian Williams is said to be stepping aside from his anchor position at NBC’s Nightly News, but is this really just the beginning of the end? Williams’ fabricated and continually embellished Iraq helicopter story has gotten him in a world of trouble. even though he had been told to stop telling the faux news account by people who knew the story was made up and false, he did not. Williams wrote a memo to the NBC News staff, “As managing editor of NBC Nightly News, I have decided to take myself off of my daily broadcast for the next several days, and Lester Holt has kindly agreed to sit in for me to allow us to adequately deal with this issue.  Upon my return, I will continue my career-long effort to be worthy of the trust of those who place their trust in us.”

UPON YOUR RETURN? Don’t count on it. It is beginning to sound like all Brian Williams does is make stuff up to a made for TV movie, rather than the truth of what actually happened. Helicopter hard landings in Iraq, taking enemy fire,  looking down the very tube of an RPG and even seeing floating bodies post Katrina, Williams may want to write Hollywood movie scripts, rather than report the news, because it would appear he had an issue reporting facts.

Brian Williams said Saturday that he will step aside as anchor of his nightly NBC News broadcast for “several days” as a result of the controversy generated by his comments about his reporting during the Iraq war and Hurricane Katrina.

With his troubles mounting by the day, Williams said he had decided to take himself off his signature newscast, “Nightly News with Brian Williams,” while NBC looks into statements he has made about his work in interviews stretching back more than a decade.

“As managing editor of NBC Nightly News, I have decided to take myself off of my daily broadcast for the next several days, and Lester Holt has kindly agreed to sit in for me to allow us to adequately deal with this issue,” Williams wrote in a memo to the NBC News staff that was made public by the network. “Upon my return, I will continue my career-long effort to be worthy of the trust of those who place their trust in us.”

Williams, 55, has been under fire since Wednesday after he apologized to a group of Iraq war veterans for apparently exaggerating the danger he and an NBC News crew faced while covering the start of the war in 2003. Williams had described coming under rocket and gunfire while traveling with U.S. soldiers in a military helicopter that was damaged and forced to land. The soldiers disputed Williams’s account, saying his aircraft had not been fired upon, prompting Williams to recant the story.

From Ace of Spades comes the below VIDEO, Midnight Brian Williams Update: Williams Claimed to Have Looked Down the Very Tube of the RPG That Shot Down the Lead Copter in 2007. Williams may want to remember stories of credibility, not ones that make him sound like he is some brave soul that has escaped death. In the video below he goes on to spew more BS about all these people who died in the Super Dome following Hurricane Katrina. Hmm, I guess we can’t interview those folks to see if Williams is telling the truth, they are dead. Or so he says. Williams says, “We don’t have problems going to dangerous places, a lot of us consider that our jobs.” There lies the lie.

“It gets me to thinking, I’ve been very lucky the way my life has turned out, I’ve been very lucky to have survived a few things that I’ve been involved in, at a perception a few minutes ago, I was remembering something I tend to forget, the war with Hezballah in Israel, a few years back, where there were Katuyshka rockets passing just beneath the helicopter I was riding in. A few years before that, you go back to Iraq, and I looked down the tube of an RPG that had been fired at us and it hit the chopper in front of ours.”

Best article name, from the NY Times, ‘Anchors Aweigh’.

UPDATE I: Good grief, now there are questions whether Brian Williams reported stories following Hurricane Katrina truthfully. On Friday, NBC network officials said an internal review had been launched to vet Williams’s statements.  His comments about his work covering Hurricane Katrina in 2005 are also part of the review. It would appear Brian Williams was full of crap in his reporting on Katrina as well.

NBC News launched an internal investigation Friday into statements made by its lead anchor, Brian Williams, about his reporting from Iraq in 2003, as well as stories he told about his award-winning coverage of Hurricane Katrina in 2005.

The investigation, confirmed by NBC officials, represents a change in the network’s attitude toward its popular anchor only a day after senior managers appeared to have accepted his apology for misstating the facts surrounding his excursion on a military helicopter while reporting on the start of the Iraq war nearly 12 years ago.

Williams and NBC won a Peabody Award for reporting on Katrina’s impact on New Orleans and its surroundings. Williams had recently ascended to anchor, and he flew to report live on the Category 5 storm a few days before it struck Louisiana on Aug. 29, 2005. Williams reported daily from the city’s French Quarter and its convention center and Superdome, where residents sought shelter.

UNREAL … City of New York Hits Hurricane Sandy Victims With ‘Failure To Maintain’ Property Citation

Just when Hurricane Sandy victims thought that it could not get any worse …

Just how ignorant is government bureaucracy? Talk about “Big Government” gone crazy.  The answer appears to be quite a bit. Rosanne and Joe Cavaliere, residents in a Queens, NY community actually received a citation for notice from the city for “failure to maintain” their property. Are you friggin kidding me?  I guess this is part of the “no red tape” that President Barack Obama promised during his first photo-op when he went to the Sandy ravaged area prior to the 2012 election.

Residents in one Queens neighborhood are crying foul after they were written up for failing to clean up the city’s own mess. It is yet another new complication in life after Superstorm Sandy.

Rosanne and Joe Cavaliere are still trying to clean up from the hurricane.

They have branches through their roof, busted front windows, and, to add insult to injury, they recently received a citation notice from the city.

Could you imagine? Folks in NY and NJ are still trying to get back on their feet after Hurricane Sandy that still has many individuals without power and homes and the City of New York in their infinite wisdom look to extort money from victims with such citations. Way to go Mayor Bloomberg. You are a man of the people.

New York City Hurricane Sandy Victims’ Homes Looted over Thanksgiving Holiday

I guess there really is no honor among thieves …

As if the victims of Hurricane Sandy have not gone through and lost enough. Now it is being reported that storm victims in New York City and some of the most devastated areas have had their homes looted as well over Thanksgiving. One of the areas reporting looting is the Breezy Point section of Queens, NY that was one of the most devastated areas where hundreds of people lost their homes. Now we learn that others were robbed and looted on Wednesday or Thursday when many residents were away for the holiday.

Some residents of a New York City neighborhood that suffered fire and flooding during Superstorm Sandy say thieves looted their damaged houses over Thanksgiving.

The New York Post reports  that thieves struck at least three homes in the Breezy Point section of Queens.

The Post reports that there were 14 home break-ins in Breezy Point from Nov. 12 to Nov. 18. There were none during the same period last year.

Post Hurricane Sandy: More Bodies Found in NYC, People Living Like Animals, Areas Still With No Power, Gas Lines and President Obama Goes Golfing

The Golfer in Chief appears to have left the victims of Hurricane Sandy behind … He Cared to get a photo-op, nothing more.

Remember when President Barack Obama traveled to the NY/NJ metro area to have his photo-op with NJ Gov. Chris Christie and claim that he would make that “we would not  leave anyone behind?” Well much like Ambassador Stevens and the three other Americans who begged for help and were left to die without being given any aid, well it appears the the folks in NYC, especially Staten Island are suffering the same fate. People are suffering, the dead are still being found, people are still without power and gas is at a premium. But do not fret people of NYC, your president, Barack Obama thinks so much of you, he went golfing.

Obama – Is that a water hazard or flooding from Hurricane Sandy?

Just curious, where is all of the national media coverage of the plight of the Sandy victims like they did following Hurricane Katrina? Oh that’s right, Obama is a Democrats. The MSM can’t possibly provide the imagery of an uncaring Obama especially since their false narrative has been, he cares.  Imagine, just imagine what the MSM would have reported had GWB went golfing following Katrina. Then again, the ignorant individuals who voted for Obama blamed everything on GWB. Maybe Hurricane Sandy was Bush’s fault as well

Weeks after Hurricane Sandy devastated the East Coast and the New York City area, a Staten Island man was finally  found dead in his flooded, mildewed home. Some thought that he had fled prior to the hurricane; however, some one had called in the fact that they smelled rotting flesh. After all this time, authorities are still finding bodies, unreal.

Cops found the body of David Maxwell in his Staten Island home on Friday after it lay undiscovered for 11 days — with his neighbors thinking he had fled before the storm.

The 66-year-old lived alone with his cat — which also died — in the modest yellow, two-family house on Mapleton Avenue in Midland Beach. The home now stands in a flooded wasteland of trash, ruined furniture, mold and mildew.

“It’s so horrible,” said neighbor Dorothy Matthews, 71. “He was alone in the world except for his cat and his partner in the nursing home.”   “I don’t know who called it in, but it was probably someone who thought the smell came from rotting flesh,” she added. “It smelled so bad out here the past few days.”

Some are saying that they are living like animals and wonder whether they are in a third world country or the United States. Well, you did vote Obama in for a second term so its really hard to tell these days.

Next Page →

Support Scared Monkeys! make a donation.

 
 
  • NEWS (breaking news alerts or news tips)
  • Red (comments)
  • Dugga (technical issues)
  • Dana (radio show comments)
  • Klaasend (blog and forum issues)
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Close
E-mail It