Clark County District Judge Linda Marie Bell Denies OJ Simpson’s New Trail & Upholds His 2008 Conviction on Kidnapping & Armed Robbery
OJ SIMPSON DENIED … IT’S TRUE, WHAT HAPPENS IN VEGAS, STAYS IN VEGAS AND SO DOES OJ IN PRISON!!!
Clark County, Nevada District Judge Linda Marie Bell has denied O.J. Simpson’s appeal for a new trial. In upholding his 2008 conviction for kidnapping, armed robbery and other charges the judge said that Simpson was denied on “All grounds in the petition lack merit.” Simpson’s “non-dream” legal team’s had asked for a new trial on 22 specific grounds related to his trial and appeal. However, Judge Linda Marie Bell’s 101 page, point-by-point-by-point ruling denied the “Juice” as she stated, “Given the overwhelming amount of evidence, neither the errors in this case, nor the errors collectively, cause this court to question the validity of Mr. Simpson’s conviction.”
A judge in Las Vegas rejected O.J. Simpson’s bid for a new trial on Tuesday, dashing the former football star’s bid for freedom based on the claim that his original lawyer botched his armed robbery and kidnapping trial in Las Vegas more than five years ago.
“All grounds in the petition lack merit and, consequently, are denied,” Clark County District Judge Linda Marie Bell said.
Simpson lawyer Patricia Palm said she wanted to speak to Simpson before commenting on the decision. Ozzie Fumo, her co-counsel in the effort, said he expected they would appeal to the Nevada Supreme Court.
VIDEO - KTNV Channel 13 Action News
OJ Simpson is currently serving 9 to 33 years on his 2008 conviction of kidnapping, armed robbery and 10 other charges in the 2007 Las Vegas incident where Simpson and others were arrested in bizarre Vegas memorabilia heist. Karma baby!
Look for O J and his defense team to appeal this decision in federal court next. As reported at the Las Vegas Sun, Simpson’s attorney Ozzie Fumo said, “This is just the first step and we are going to Nevada Supreme Court and Mr. Simpson will be vindicated when this is done. We’re not giving up this fight and it’s not over.” Note to O J defense team, its over!
Isn’t it amazing how some of these folks just cannot seem to go gentle into that good night and have to put themselves in the media light. Even serving time and being irrelevant, this narcissist still gets PR. Interestingly enough, Dana Pretzer on Scared Monkeys radio was discussing this phenomenon with Dr. Clint VanZandt of those like O J Simpson and George Zimmerman just cannot seem to go away.
OJ Simpson Heads to Court Monday Seeking “Hail Mary Motion,” a Writ of Habeas Corpus, Stating Bad Representation Should Reverse his Conviction and New Trial Ordered
He’s baaack, like a bad penny.
O.J. Simpson will return to court in Las Vegas, Nevada in and attempt to seek a “Hail Mary” motion, better known as a writ of Habeas Corpus. The motion claims that OJ had such bad representation during his first trial that his conviction should be reversed and a new trial ordered. In 2008 Simpson was convicted on armed robbery and kidnapping charges and sent to prison after “The Juice” participated in a bizarre hotel room robbery, claiming he was trying to get back personal memorabilia that he claimed was stolen from him. Simpson was found guilty as the “glove fit” this time and is presently serving 9 to 33 years for the crimes.
Simpson has filed 19 claims of ineffective counsel and attorney conflict of interest in the 2008 case. Simpson contends his trial attorney never told him about a plea bargain that had been offered by prosecutors. He also said in a sworn statement that the same attorney knew about the memorabilia sting before it happened, and “he advised me that I was within my legal rights.”
Simpson is expected to testify sometime during the week-long hearing.
Too bad this verdict did not happen in a Los Angles, CA court room
Most defendants lose these motions, but in this case nobody is taking bets on the outcome. When it comes to O.J Simpson, who knows?
Nothing is the same when O.J. is involved,” said Loyola Law School professor Laurie Levenson, who observed Simpson’s Los Angeles trial. “An O.J. case is never like any other case.”
Simpson was famously acquitted on murder charges related to the death of his ex-wife and her friend in a 1995 trial that captivated the nation. When he was sentenced in 2008, Clark County District Court Judge Jackie Glass, referencing the murder trial, said that her penalty was not intended as “retribution or any payback for anything else.”
Doesn’t OJ Simpson know, what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas? Including criminals found guilty. For some one who got away with murder, Simpson should count his lucky stars that he is still breathing and has a possibility of getting parole.
New Trail Ordered for Amanda Knox … Italy’s High Court Overturns Amanda Knox Acquittal in Murder of British Roommate Meredith Kercher
Breaking News out of Italy … Italy’s Highest Court has overturned the Amanda Knox Murder Acquittal.
Italy’s highest court has overturned the Amanda Knox murder acquittal of her British roommate Meredith Kercher and has ordered a retrial. After six hours of appeals deliberations yesterday, this morning the Court of Cassation in Rome ruled that an appeals court in Florence must re-hear the case against the American Amanda Know and her Italian ex-boyfriend Raffaele Sollecito. It is uncertain as to what the court considered appealable in their decision. The exact issues that have to be reconsidered won’t be known until the court releases its full ruling within 90 days.
Italy’s highest court has ruled that Amanda Knox should be retried over the 2007 killing of her British flatmate Meredith Kercher in Perugia.
Knox, 25, and her ex-boyfriend Raffaele Sollecito, 29, spent four years in jail, but were freed on appeal in 2011 largely on the grounds DNA evidence was flawed.
On hearing the news today Knox admitted it was ‘painful’ to receive the decision, but said she was ‘confident in the truth.’
“It was painful to receive the news that the Italian Supreme Court decided to send my case back for revision when the prosecution’s theory of my involvement in Meredith’s murder has been repeatedly revealed to be completely unfounded and unfair,” the statement said.
Knox said the matter must now be examined by “an objective investigation and a capable prosecution.”
“No matter what happens, my family and I will face this continuing legal battle as we always have, confident in the truth and with our heads held high in the face of wrongful accusations and unreasonable adversity.”
It is unimaginable that Knox would return to Italy for the trial. There is nothing that would compel her to do so and no attorney worth their salt would recommend it after the roller-coaster legal ride of this murder case. There is much public pressure in Italy for a guilty verdict. Amanda Knox could be tried in absentia. What makes all this even more bizarre is that Amanda Knox’s book is scheduled to be released in the very new future.
Amanda Knox and her Italian boyfriend were originally found guilty in 2009 of sexual assault and murder of the British student Meredith Kercher in 2007. They were sentenced to 26 and 25 years respectively. An Ivory Coast man, Rudy Guede, was convicted of the slaying in a separate proceeding and is serving a 16 year sentence. However, they were then acquitted in a retrial in 2011 on the grounds that the DNA evidence produced at the first trial was flawed. Prosecution lawyers then appealed to the Court of Cassation to overturn the 2011 verdict on procedural grounds. Now we find ourselves at present day.
Amanda Knox Awaits the Ruling as Italy’s High Court Considers Her Acquittal of the Murder Charges in the Death of 21 Year Old British Student Meredith Kercher
Will Amanda Knox finally be considered free of murder charges?
Amanda Knox awaits the next step in the judicial process to see whether she will be retried following her acquittal of the murder in the death of 21 year old British student Meredith Kercher. Prosecutors are asking the Italian high court to throw out the acquittals of American Knox and her Italian ex-boyfriend Raffaele Sollecito. Knox and Sollecito were initially arrested in 2007, then convicted and given prison sentences: 26 years for Knox, 25 for Sollecito. However, in 2011 the appeals court acquitted them, criticizing the prosecutors case in the first trial. The proceedings today are the second and final level of appeal, prosecutors are now seeking to overturn the acquittals, while defense attorneys say they should stand. If the acquittal stands, the case is over. If it is reversed, the saga continues …
Amanda Knox was “very anxious” as Italy’s top criminal court heard arguments Monday from prosecutors appealing her acquittal in the murder of her roommate, her lawyer said.
“She’s carefully paying attention to what will come out,” attorney Luciano Ghirga said as he arrived at Italy’s Court of Cassation. “This is a fundamental stage. The trial is very complex.”
Prosecutors are asking the high court to throw out the acquittals of American Knox and her Italian ex-boyfriend in the murder of 21-year-old British student Meredith Kercher, and order a new trial.
A verdict could come later today.
Casey Anthony Attorneys Appeal Her Four Convictions for Lying to Law Enforcement During Search for Deceased Daughter Caylee Anthony
Casey Anthony, she’s back, well kind of.
Attorneys for Casey Anthony will present oral arguments to an Appeals court with regards to Casey’s four convictions for lying to law enforcement during the search for her then missing daughter, Caylee Anthony. The tot mom, Casey Anthony was inexplicably acquitted of all major charges at trial in the death of her daughter. Attorneys Cheney Mason and Lisabeth Fryernwill represent Casey in her appeals case in from of a three judge panel of the Fifth District Court of Appeal in Daytona Beach. The hearing will take place Tuesday afternoon at 1:30 pm. The Appeals court hearing will be brief and Casey Anthony is not expected to be in attendance as the court only allows each side 15 minutes to argue. The panel is not expected to make a ruling Tuesday. This is surreal. Casey Anthony lies about her missing daughter Caylee, who was missing and being searched for by law enforcement, search teams and volunteers, but her body was actually in a swamp down the street from her parents house the entire time and she and her lawyers argue that she really was never missing, Casey was dead. And some how the jury bought this. Now Casey looks to skate on lying as well.
Who, Me Lie?
Anthony, 26, was convicted of lying to lead detective Yuri Melich when she said she left Caylee on or about June 9, 2008, with a nanny named Zenaida Fernandez-Gonzalez at the Sawgrass Apartments in Orlando.
She was also convicted of lying when she claimed she was employed at Universal Studios, had told Universal co-workers that Caylee was missing, and later received a phone call from Caylee.
As reported at the Orlando Sentinel, Antony’s attorneys are expected to argue her appeal on the following grounds:
• Jurors only heard testimony about Anthony’s lies, the defense argues, because Orange-Osceola Chief Judge Belvin Perry improperly allowed it into her trial. Anthony had not been read her rights before making statements to law enforcement.
Law-enforcement witnesses testified that’s because Anthony was not officially in custody. However, she was briefly handcuffed and put in a deputy’s vehicle.
• Anthony’s attorneys also argue that her four convictions for lying are improper under the “double jeopardy” clause of the U.S. Constitution, which courts have ruled prohibits a defendant from facing multiple punishments for the same criminal act. Her defense argues the four lies she was charged with were actually one ongoing act.
• The lawyers also argue that Perry incorrectly ruled against Anthony’s defense on an objection to a portion of the jury instructions, relating to the materiality of her alleged false statements.
Anthony, 26, has been in hiding since she was acquitted of murder. She has been subpoenaed to appear at trial in the Gonzalez suit, which was recently delayed indefinitely in order to let the appeal play out.
Wait a second, didn’t former Casey Anthony defense attorney Jose Baez call his client a liar in court, but she was not a killer?
It is bad enough that the “ship of fools” jury found Casey Anthony “not guilty as sin” in the death of Caylee Anthony, but we could be further insulted that Casey could have her lying convictions over turned as well. Good grief. Is it possible that Casey Anthony will have even these lame misdemeanor convictions for lying overturned and be held to absolutely no justice what-so-ever? If this does occur it would mean that there was literally NO JUSTICE FOR CAYLEE!!!