According to the Union Democrat, search efforts and fund raisers will be planned to help aid in the efforts to find the missing 64-year-old nurse from Nevada, Nita Mayo.
Search efforts and a fund raiser are planned over the Labor Day weekend to help find Nita Mayo, a Nevada woman who has been missing since she left on a trip over Sonora Pass on Aug. 8.
Volunteer searchers enlisted by Mayo’s four children and her son-in-law will be out over the next three days, scouring the mountains between Kennedy Meadows and Strawberry.
The effort is being coordinated by Texas Equusearch, a nonprofit search and rescue organization that has also been helping in Aruba in the search for missing Alabama teenager Natalee Holloway.
Mayo’s family is asking anyone camping, hiking and fishing in the Sonora Pass area to keep an eye out for anything suspicious.
Tomorrow there will be a benefit to raise money for the Nita Mayo search.
Tomorrow night, a benefit concert will be held in Twain Harte to raise money and awareness to help find Mayo, a 64-year-old nurse from Hawthorne. The Silvermoon All Stars band will wear shirts with Mayo’s picture on them as they perform from 6 to 8 p.m. at Eproson Park.
The events of this case are as follows according to all information available from law enforcement in Tuolumne County and in Mineral County, Nevada.
1. Mayo left Hawthorne around 11 a.m. on Aug. 8 for a day trip over Sonora Pass
2. She told a friend she wanted to visit a “village” on the other side of Sonora Pass and was to return home so she could be at work the following day.
3. Mayo never returned, and her car was found on Aug. 10 at the Donnell Vista parking lot.
4. It had been there since Aug. 8, according to a Caltrans worker who saw it there two days before deputies found it.
5. A refrigerator magnet and postcards purchased at Strawberry General Store were found in Mayo’s car along with her purse, cellular phone, wallet, credit cards, money and food.
6. Jewel Rice, of Colorado Springs, Colo., was driving a rental car that got stuck on a U.S. Forest Service road near Strawberry. Between Aug. 7 and 12, she sought help in freeing the car. After Aug. 12, she left without her vehicle.
7. Rice’s car has since been searched and impounded.
Please note the following information for future fund raising and volunteering:
Next weekend, on Sept. 10, Mt. Grant Hospital workers are also sponsoring a 5K walk-run to raise money for the search effort.
Anyone who wants to volunteer for this weekend’s search should be at Dardanelle Resort at 8 a.m. Saturday.