Two Teen Juveniles Charged with Arson in Tennessee Wildfires that Left 14 People Dead … Might Be Charged as Adults
Two teen juveniles have been charged with aggravated arson in connection with the wildfires that tore through Eastern Tennessee, including Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge, that killed 14 people and damaging or destroying hundreds of buildings and properties. It is not known yet whether the two teens will be charged as adults. According to 4th District Attorney General James Dunn, additional charges are being considered, including the possibility of seeking a transfer to adult criminal court. The youths were from Tennessee, but not from Sevier County, where the fires started. At this time, there is no additional information about the youths was made available, including their age and gender.
The question is … should these two juveniles be charged as adults for the crimes, deaths and wide spread damage they caused?
Two juveniles have been charged with aggravated arson in connection with the wildfires that ravaged two East Tennessee resort towns last week, killing 14 people and leaving nearly 150 others injured and damaging or destroying hundreds of properties, authorities said Wednesday.
During an investigation involving local, state and federal agents, “information was developed that two juveniles allegedly started the fire” that roared through Great Smoky Mountains National Park before spreading into Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge, the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation said in a news release.
Both were taken into custody Wednesday and are being held at the Sevier County Juvenile Detention Center.
The suspects are Tennessee residents, District Attorney General Jimmy B. Dunn said at a news conference in Sevierville. No additional information about the youths was made available, including their age and gender.