WELL IMAGINE THAT, 90% OF NATIVE AMERICANS ARE NOT OFFENDED BY REDSKINS, HMM, ISN’T THAT A MANDATE?
A WAPO poll finds that 90% of Native Americans say they ARE NOT offended by the Washington Redskins name. WOW, 90%! You can’t find 9 in 10 people top agree on anything these days. The poll asked only “Native Americans” the question if the professional football team in Washington calls itself the Washington Redskins. As a Native American, do you find that name offensive or doesn’t it bother you? An astounding 90% said they were not offended, 9% said they were and 1% had no opinion and could have cared less. So who exactly is so offended and insulted by the Redskin name? Once again we are witness to a group of 5 people who claim to speak for the other 99% This a Washington Post independent poll, not one conducted by Washington Redskins owner Daniel Schneider for his own self-serving reasons. Those on the offended by anything side will be hard pressed to condemn these poll results.
Nine in 10 Native Americans say they are not offended by the Washington Redskins name, according to a new Washington Post poll that shows how few ordinary Indians have been persuaded by a national movement to change the football team’s moniker.
The survey of 504 people across every state and the District reveals that the minds of Native Americans have remained unchanged since a 2004 poll by the Annenberg Public Policy Center found the same result. Responses to The Post’s questions about the issue were broadly consistent regardless of age, income, education, political party or proximity to reservations.
Among the Native Americans reached over a five-month period ending in April, more than 7 in 10 said they did not feel the word “Redskin” was disrespectful to Indians. An even higher number — 8 in 10 — said they would not be offended if a non-native called them that name.