Ahead of the 4th of July Weekend, there is a 6th victim at a North Carolina beach in the last two weeks.
Officials say a 17-year-old boy is the latest victim of a shark attack off North Carolina’s coast, the second attack in as many days and the sixth attack in the past two weeks.
Rescue personnel and park rangers responded to the boy, who received what they described as injuries to his right calf, buttocks and both hands while swimming in the Outer Banks on Saturday, according to a post on the National Park Service’s Facebook page. The boy was swimming with others when he was bitten, but no one else was hurt, officials said.
The unidentified teenager was treated at the scene before being airlifted to a Norfolk, Virginia, hospital, the park service said.
- A 47-year-old man was bitten while swimming in Avon on Hatteras Island.
- A 43-year-old man was also attacked by a shark near Hilton Head Island, South Carolina.
- A 13-year old girl who lost her left arm below the elbow at Oak Island
- A 16-year old boy who lost his left arm above the elbow at Oak Island.
- An 8-year-old boy appears to be bitten by shark