Money can’t buy you happiness or life …
One day after 46 year old Urooj Khan won the $1 million lottery, the Chicago man died of what was determined at the time, natural causes. Actually, his death gets a little bit more sinister. Urooj Khan died a day after he was given a $425,000 lump sum payment. Hmm. However, afterwards a family member had suggested that medical examiner’s office to take a closer look. They did and conducted a toxicology report. It is being determined that Khan died of a fatal poisoning from cyanide.
“They had concerns that it was deemed a natural cause of death and wanted us to look harder,” Cina told NBCChicago.com. “And we did.”
A lottery winner was fatally poisoned with cyanide just as he was about to collect his payout on a $1 million instant lottery ticket, a Chicago medical examiner said Monday.
Urooj Khan died July 20, one day after the state issued a check to him for $425,000, which represented the after tax amount on the lump sum payout on his winning ticket. The check wasn’t cashed until Aug. 15, likely by a member of his estate.
After a limited exam, Cook County Medical Examiner Stephen Cina found no trauma or unusual substances in the 46-year-old’s body, and the medical examiner’s office declared that he died of natural causes.
An investigation has been opened into the murder of Urooj Khan. No suspects have been named yet by authorities. Just a hunch … the butler did it. Seriously though, this one is most likely a family member who had such access to Khan where he would ingest cyanide without any thought that he would be doing so and without concern.