Washington Post Confirms Security was Lax before Benghazi Attack, State Dept Did Nothing to Address Issues


As reported at the WAPO, security was woefully nonexistent prior to the attacks at Benghazi. How could that possibly be in a region rife with terrorism and on the anniversary of 9-11? The Post confirms, that the State Department never took those security concerns seriously even with the many indicators that would have shown there more security was required. The result, Ambassador Stevens dead and three others. The Obama Administration has a lot of explaining.

On the eve of his death, U.S. Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens was ebullient as he returned for the first time in his new role to Benghazi, the eastern Libyan city that embraced him as a savior during last year’s civil war. He moved around the coastal town in an armored vehicle and held a marathon of meetings, his handful of bodyguards trailing discreetly behind.

But as Stevens met with Benghazi civic leaders, U.S. officials appear to have underestimated the threat facing both the ambassador and other Americans. They had not reinforced the U.S. diplomatic outpost there to meet strict safety standards for government buildings overseas. Nor had they posted a U.S. Marine detachment, as at other diplomatic sites in high-threat regions.

A U.S. military team assigned to establish security at the new embassy in Tripoli, in a previously undisclosed detail, was never instructed to fortify the temporary hub in the east. Instead, a small local guard force was hired by a British private security firm as part of a contract worth less than half of what it costs to deploy a single U.S. service member in a war zone for a year.

The two U.S. compounds where Stevens and three other Americans were killed in a sustained, brutal attack the night of Sept. 11, proved to be strikingly vulnerable targets in an era of barricaded embassies and multibillion-dollar security contracts for U.S. diplomatic facilities in conflict zones, according to interviews with U.S. and Libyan officials and eyewitnesses in recent days.

Hot Air has much, much more on this tragedy that appears could have been adverted, if the situation had been taken more serious.

If you liked this post, you may also like these:

  • The Blame Game: Obama Deputy Campaign Manager Stephanie Cutter Says Benghazi Is Only an Issue ‘Because of Romney and Ryan’
  • A Slobbering Quid Pro Quo Love Affair … President Barack Obama Praises Hillary Clinton in “60 Minutes” Interview
  • State Department Never Requested Military Backup the Night of the Terror Attack
  • Sen. Rand Paul (KY-R) To Hillary Clinton at Senate Foreign Relations Committee Hearing on Benghazi Terrorist Attack: ‘I Would Have Relieved You Of Your Post’ (VIDEO)
  • Unbelievable … Obama Campaign Says Benghazi Was Not a Foreign Policy Failure

  • Comments

    3 Responses to “Washington Post Confirms Security was Lax before Benghazi Attack, State Dept Did Nothing to Address Issues”

    1. publicenemy2u on October 1st, 2012 8:08 am

      “Instead, a small local guard force was hired by a British private security firm as part of a contract worth less than half of what it costs to deploy a single U.S. service member in a war zone for a year.”
      Anyone think we would outsource this less under Romney? This kind of bid work too unprofitable for Blackwater? Will Haliburton get in emabasy security? Not with Obama in office!

    2. NGBoston on October 1st, 2012 9:37 am

      State Department did NOTHING to address issues?

      YAH THINK? I have to say, even when all others hate on here, I have been somewhat of a supporter of HRC.

      Here, she failed miserably, and it cost lives. Since Hillary reports to President, this is just another in a long list of blatant FAILURES for this Presidency. Really? On the Anniversary of 9/11 you leave Marines without ammunition to protect our Embassies in some of the most critical areas of the Middle East??

      It cost American lives, and I don’t care how many years ago 9/11 was—always remember that Extreme Muslim Terrorist relish in and take pride in making it hurt AGAIN on this date and will take any opportunity to make Americans feel the pain and open the wounds again.

      Mr. President, you and YOU ALONE are responsible for this breach in Security and for who your Secretary of State appoints to her Cabinet.

      And HOW DARE you attempt to insult the intelligence of Americans by falsely claiming some lame ass Movie (which had been circulating on the internet for over a year) was responsible for this incident. Then say NOTHING when the MSM, for days, weeks even tried to run with that story?

      No, Thank You, Mr. Obama.

      For this, any many other reasons I am hoping the silent majority of Americans will vote you out of office in November.

      Mitt Romney—Don’t back down. Call out the President on the MISERABLE ECONOMY, his SPENDING, and his FAILED FOREIGN POLICY. These are his three biggest weaknesses. Not to mention him being a Socialist who his also an Extreme Liberal Muslim Terrorist Supporter. I don’t care what he says, he is NOT- repeat NOT seen as a STRONG LEADER in so many other parts of the World.

      ROMNEY/RYAN 2012

    3. A Texas Grandfather on October 1st, 2012 10:02 am

      When you have inexperienced idiots running things,this what happens. This idocy extends from Obama and Hillary all the way down the chain.

      Our entire Washington and elswhere support staff, including those associated with LE need a good vetting by a congress that means business. For too long, government jobs have been used for “workfare” to employee those who cannot make it in the commercial workplace.

    Leave a Reply

    Support Scared Monkeys! make a donation.

    • NEWS (breaking news alerts or news tips)
    • Red (comments)
    • Dugga (technical issues)
    • Dana (radio show comments)
    • Klaasend (blog and forum issues)
    E-mail It