Cousin (Witness 9) of George Zimmerman Claims He Sexually Abused Her as a Child over 10 Years (Audio) … Mark O’Mara Says, “The content of this statement is not relevant to the issues of this case, and it would not be admissible in the state’s case”
File this one under, why now and why would this information that had nothing to do with the second degree murder case at hand be allowed to be made public? All this could do is prejudice a jury pool as there is no way it could be immiscible as evidence in this trial. It would seem that this case was never intended to be tried in a court of law … it was determined a while back that this case would be tried in the public.
Just when you thought you had heard it all in the George Zimmerman second degree murder case in the shooting death of Trayvon Martin, along comes this whopper of an allegation. The cousin of George Zimmerman claims that she was sexually abused by the man charged with the second degree murder of Trayvon Martin. She claims that the abuse took place over a 10 year period of time then the woman was 6 years old and Zimmerman was 8. She is only known as witness 9, (audio).
A cousin of George Zimmerman claims he sexually abused her as a child over a 10-year period, according to taped interviews released Monday by prosecutors. Zimmerman’s defense team tried, but failed, to stop the recordings’ release.
The alleged assaults began woman when the was 6 years old and Zimmerman was 8; they allegedly continued until she was 16, USA Today reports. Zimmerman is currently 28 years old.
But even if the woman’s allegations are true, could Zimmerman face criminal charges for incidents that happened at least a decade ago?
It depends on the nature of the alleged abuse, and where they took place.
George Zimmerman’s defense attorney Mark O’Mara said that he and his legal team would “vigorously defend” him against the allegations. Being a victims rights advocate, I am a bit dismayed by the fact that the prosecution would release such prejudicial information regarding a defendant and the fact that Judge Lester allowed it to be released as he denied a defense motion. If these allegations are true, the girl should have come forward and had Zimmerman prosecuted. It is obviously too late now which begs the question, why did the woman make it an issue now? Second, why did the prosecution release such information that had no bearing on this murder case and will never be allowed to be admitted as evidence? This was released to incite the public and will obviously taint the jury pool. Third, how could Judge Lester allow such prejudicial and inflammatory information be released? Maybe Mark O’Mara is 100% correct, Judge Lester needs to be removed from this case as he is incapable of being impartial.
Lawyer Mark O’Mara also appeared to question why the prosecution released the woman’s accusation. In a statement released today, O’Mara said that he had sought to block the release last month arguing, “The content of this statement is not relevant to the issues of this case, and it would not be admissible in the state’s case in chief.”
He also argued that the “irrelevant statement should be withheld from public dissemination” for fear that it would created “hostile publicity” that could “pose a serious threat to the administration of justice.”
Judge Kenneth Lester had rejected O’Mara’s motion, but the lawyer filed a new motion today to block release of the woman statement. The prosecution, however, released her claim, along with other evidence in the case which includes dozens of Zimmerman’s jailhouse phone calls.
I can remember the judge in the Casey Anthony murder trial bending over backwards for the defense to provide a fair trial and make all the appearances that there was no undo damage to Casey Anthony by things that were not apart of the case. That seems to be desperately lacking in this case,