Ricardo Cruz Pineda and Frank Jule Sandoval Facing 1st Degree Murder Charges in Death of Canadian Bouabal Bounthavorn Ingo in Mexico


According to Mexican police, two men have been arrested in the murder of Canadian tourist Bouabal Bounthavorn Ingo in a Cabo San Lucas hotel. Ricardo Cruz Pineda, 35, from Acapulco, Mexico and Frank Jule Sandoval, 48, of Los Angeles, CA were arrested and are currently in custody facing first degree murder charge in connection with the death of Bouabal Bounthavorn. The murder appears to be the result of a botched robbery. 29 year old Bouabal Bounthavorn Ingo, a Laos-born Canadian, was gunned down while staying at Hotel Riu Santa Fe.

Baja California Sur state police Commander Jesus Alberto said the two suspects had prior criminal records and were “occasional” friends of another U.S. resident, Michael Thompson, 32, who was staying next door to Bounthavorn. Thompson, from Chicago, was recently charged with making false statements to authorities.

Alberto said police believe the alleged assailants entered Bounthavorn’s room after knocking on an adjoining door and claiming to be from the hotel. They used a 9-mm handgun in the attack. He said the two men had been allegedly scouting Bounthavorn because he appeared to have a lot of money. Alberto said they were allegedly looking for money for drugs.

Previously, Mexican authorities have arrested a U.S. man for allegedly lying about the killing of a Canadian tourist at this popular beach resort

El Sudcaliforniano says that authorities believe a U.S. man currently in custody was sharing a room with the alleged killer in the same hotel where the murder took place.

Bouabal Bounthavorn Ingo, thought to be from the Vancouver area, was killed this past May when a gunman burst into his hotel room and opened fire, killing him and wounding his girlfriend, Masha Heikali, in the foot. (Vancouver Sun)

UPDATE I: Mexican police question dead man’s B.C. girlfriend, Masha Heikali

Posted June 19, 2008 by
Crime, Deceased, Mexico, Murder, World | 6 comments

If you liked this post, you may also like these:

  • Canadian Tourist Bouabal Bounthavorn Shot to Death in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
  • Senator Ted Cruz (R-TX) Releases Birth Certificate … Born in Canada to an American Mother
  • Mexican Mayor Jose Luis Abarca and his Wife Maria de los Angeles Pineda Arrested in Case of Missing 43 Students
  • Slain Minister’s Wife, Mary Winkler, Confessed to the Murder of Matthew Winkler
  • Ben Fawley charged with first-degree murder of Taylor Behl

  • Comments

    6 Responses to “Ricardo Cruz Pineda and Frank Jule Sandoval Facing 1st Degree Murder Charges in Death of Canadian Bouabal Bounthavorn Ingo in Mexico”

    1. LilPuma on June 20th, 2008 6:52 am

      Glad to hear a case of Mexican authorities doing the right thing. Hope they’ve got the right guys and get a conviction. A small comfort for the family of the victim.

    2. richard on June 20th, 2008 11:03 am

      These people must have thought they were in Aruba.

    3. sandy on June 25th, 2008 11:02 pm

      I smell something fishy because if you read the previous stories this doesn’t match anything mexican authorities have said. It’s just another cover up the authorities do over there and blame innocent people so all of us will still go visit there. I was there once and I will never go there again.

    4. Robyn Gunderson on October 5th, 2008 11:20 pm

      It is fishy, I have been trying for 2 years to get the truth about how my husband died at Riu Cabo San Lucas only to get 4 different reports all saying different outcomes from the Mexican Consulate. The Mexican Consulate is very shady, they said I would have the police, toxicology, medical records etc for free 2 weeks following my husbands death in Oct. 2006. Instead my husband’s company, Hooters, paid the concierge $2,000.00 to get them before I could. I finally received the free reports several months after Hooters did. I have worked at a 5 star hotel for years and it saddens me that the police never contacted me, Riu Cabo San Lucas never contacted me and I heard from a guest that stayed there that night that it was covered up pretty quickly and when she asked the hotel what happened they wouldn’t give any information. My husband was thrown or pushed off a 2nd story floor. I only wish they could be honest.

    5. James Worthwhile on March 9th, 2009 3:56 pm

      I thought Riu opened up in 2007?

    6. Mike Thompson on April 2nd, 2010 2:14 pm

      This was nothing short of a nightmare.
      The whole investigation was a farce based on lies to put the blame on people outside of Cabo. “Mexico is safe, tourists came down and did this”. I can assure you I will never return to Mexico.

    Leave a Reply

    Support Scared Monkeys! make a donation.

    • NEWS (breaking news alerts or news tips)
    • Red (comments)
    • Dugga (technical issues)
    • Dana (radio show comments)
    • Klaasend (blog and forum issues)
    E-mail It