US Senators Up for Reelection in 2014, More Democrats at Risk than Republicans
2014 US Senate …
It is not too early to take a look to see what US Senaotrs are up for reelection in 2014. The GOP has managed to royally screw up the take over of seats in 2012 as they literally gave away the Senate races in Indiana and Missouri. Let this be a valuable learning lesson for Republicans and their choices for solid candidates. The GOP does not need moderate, wishy-washy candidates; however, they also do not need walking nightmares the likes of Murdoch and Akin who snatched defeat from a sure win by not being able to explain their positions. A note to GOP candidates in the future, if you feel the need to say that God is for rape … shut your trap. All GOP candidates must realize the MSM is not on your side and will spin your words to make them sound even worse than they are. So if you cannot intelligently present your ideas and beliefs to the people, you need not run.
The mere numbers of states that need to be defended tell us that Democrats once again have to do the heavy lifting to defend their turf. Democrats have far more seats up for election than the GOP and most Republican seats appear to be safe. However, we have seen this story before. Republicans best get their act in gear and come up with far better candidates than 2012.
Democrat Senators up for reelection:
- Warner, Mark R. – (D – VA) – Seems safe as VA has trended Democrat, but would it in an off year election?
- Coons, Christopher A. – (D – DE) – Safe
- Durbin, Richard J. – (D – IL) – Safe
- Franken, Al – (D – MN) – Could be vulnerable, Franken won in a close, questionable election in the wave election of 2008.
- Hagan, Kay R. – (D – NC) – North Carolina is one of the few battleground states that went to Romney in 2012, could be a vulnerable seat in 2014 for Democrats.
- Harkin, Tom – (D – IA) – Safe
- Johnson, Tim – (D – SD) – Safe unless he decides to retire.
- Kerry, John F. – (D – MA) – It has been rumored that Kerry may be Obama’s next Secretary of State in his 2nd term. If this occurs there will be a special election for this seat prior to the full election.
- Landrieu, Mary L. – (D – LA) – Louisiana is a red state; however, the Landrieu name is an institution in the Byou.
- Lautenberg, Frank R. – (D – NJ) – It is hard to believe that Lautenberg will run for reelection as he will be 90 years old in 2014. If he does decide to run its just another case for the Senate having term limits.
- Levin, Carl – (D – MI) – Safe
- Merkley, Jeff – (D – OR) – Safe
- Pryor, Mark L. – (D – AR) – Would the red state of Arkansas want to switch to a GOP Senator? It all depends on how good a candidate they run.
- Reed, Jack – (D – RI) – Safe
- Rockefeller, John D., IV – (D – WV) – Safe if he runs, he will be 77 but that seems to be a spring chicken these days in the Senate.
- Shaheen, Jeanne – (D – NH) – one never knows in a swing state in an off-year election.
- Udall, Mark – (D – CO) – Another swing state that has trended Democrat, but who knows in an off year election of a 2nd term president.
- Udall, Tom – (D – NM) – The state has trended Democrat, most likely safe.
- Baucus, Max – (D – MT) – hard to believe that such a red state has a Democrat Senator.
- Begich, Mark – (D – AK) – could be a targeted seat as Begich was elected during the wave election of 2008. No reason why Alaska has a Democrat Senator.
Republican Senators up for reelection:
- Johanns, Mike – (R – NE) – Safe
- Chambliss, Saxby – (R – GA) – Safe
- Cochran, Thad – (R – MS) – Safe
- Collins, Susan M. – (R – ME) – Safe if she does not retire
- Cornyn, John – (R – TX) – Safe
- Enzi, Michael B. – (R – WY) – Safe
- Graham, Lindsey – (R – SC) – Safe, unless the GOP pulls another 2012 Indiana Senate race debacle.
- Inhofe, James M. – (R – OK) – Safe
- Sessions, Jeff – (R – AL) – Safe
- Roberts, Pat – (R – KS) – Safe
- McConnell, Mitch – (R – KY) – Safe
- Risch, James E. – (R – ID) – Safe
- Alexander, Lamar – (R – TN) – Safe, however, would not be surprised if he is seriously challenged in the primaries.