Surprise … Des Moines Register Endorses Mitt Romney

 

Bad news for Barack Obama in Iowa and fantastic new for Mitt Romney … Des Moines Register endorses ROMNEY!!!

The Des Moines Register has changed their 2008 endorsement of Barack Obama to a 2012 endorsement of Republican Presidential candidate Mitt Romney. For the first time in 40 years the Des Moines Register is backing a Republican over a Democrat. The Register cited the number one issue of the economy as their reason for the endorsement.

American voters are deeply divided about this race. The Register’s editorial board, as it should, had a vigorous debate over this endorsement. Our discussion repeatedly circled back to the nation’s single most important challenge: pulling the economy out of the doldrums, getting more Americans back in the workforce in meaningful jobs with promising futures, and getting the federal government on a track to balance the budget in a bipartisan manner that the country demands.

What did they think of Obama in the end, it’s the economy stupid. This should provide great insight to voters as to just how bad Obama has gummed up the economic job recovery. For the first time in 40 years the paper endorses a Republic over a Democrat for President. That should speal volumes to Iowans. The paper stated that they thought Obama’s efforts to fix the economy have fallen short and there was nothing to believe that the same would not continue to be the case if given another four years.

“The president’s best efforts to resuscitate the stumbling economy have fallen short. Nothing indicates it would change with a second term in the White House.”

Maybe the Des Moines Register’s final decision to not endorse Barack Obama came from Obama’s comment to them in what was supposed to originally be an off the record interview, that Obama had no regrets on prioritizing Obamacare over jobs in his first two years.

The president was also asked about his decision to spend his substantial political capital, and exploit his large Congressional majorities, to aggressively push his partisan health care law, rather than in pursuit of other economic priorities.  Obama’s answer?  “Absolutely” no regrets:

QUESTION: “Some say you had a super majority in your first two years and had this incredible opportunity, but because of what you were talking about, as you were running, you had to go to get Obamacare done. Do you have any regrets taking on some of the economic issues, some of the issues that we’re talking about for your second term, that when you had the chance, so to speak, during your first — do you have any regrets that you didn’t do that at that time?”

OBAMA: “Absolutely not, Laura.”

Will this endorsement shake up the presidential race in Iowa? RCP has the average of polling at +2.3% Obama; however, that is with a rather suspect +8 Obama NBC/WSJ/Marist poll. Rasmussen has it an even tie.

UPDATE I: As reported at NewsBusters, the libs are in disbelief and trying to trivialize the endorsement as a joke. Actually Libs, the only joke has been that who has been in the White House the past 4 years. Even more sadly, the sick joke has been one perpetrated on America, and its citizens are not laughing.



If you liked this post, you may also like these:

  • GOP Primary: Des Moines Register Endorses Mitt Romney in Iowa
  • 30 Newspapers Switch to Endorse Mitt Romney over Obama in 2012
  • Herman Cain Leads Mitt Romney in Republican Presidential Nomination Des Moines Register’s Iowa Poll, 23% to 22%
  • Gingrich Leads in Iowa Caucus over Paul & Romney … 25%, 18%, 16%
  • GOP Presidential Primary: Arizona Governor Jan Brewer Endorses Mitt Romney




  • Comments

    9 Responses to “Surprise … Des Moines Register Endorses Mitt Romney”

    1. NGBoston on October 28th, 2012 8:44 am

      Wow….Newt Gingrich is speaking up for Romney this a.m. And hammering back at questions from Goerge Stenaphoulas.

      I don’t really care too much personally for former Speaker Gingrich but I am liking him a little bit more today.

      Good job Newt.

    2. Tamikosmom on October 28th, 2012 10:25 am

      UPDATE

      New poll shows Romney, Obama tied at 49 percent in Ohio
      Published October 28, 2012
      http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/10/28/new-poll-shows-romney-obama-tied-at-4-percent-in-ohio/

    3. A Texas Grandfather on October 28th, 2012 11:35 am

      The Register has finally decided that Obama is so socialist he will never do the things that are required to shrink the debt and get rid of the government control via too many regulations.

      Businesses will not put their capital to work until they can be assured that an out of control government agency will not attack them.

      A good expample is the attack on the Gibson Company in Tennessee. They broke no laws on the importatation of the materials to make their frett boards, yet the government used its power and force to attack them over an improper interpetation of a law of another country.

      This is the govenment attacking the people. This is no different than our founders faced with King George when the Declaration of Independence was written and adopted.

      Romney and the GOP is the only nonviolent way out of this situation. Four more years of Socialist policies will destroy the country.

    4. leader on October 28th, 2012 12:35 pm

      oh yes…
      as a woman you should be so proud of Newt…

      Newt Gingrich On Mourdock Rape Comments: Why Can’t People ‘Get Over It?’
      ______________________
      SM: I must have missed it, is Newt running for something?
      R

    5. Sandy on October 28th, 2012 5:01 pm

      Things still seem very close for this election:
      http://sports.betfair.com/politics/market?id=1.21311313

      66% chance Obama and 34% Romney
      ____________________
      SM: I would not put any money on Obama to win. The trend is all toward Romney and he may actually sweep all of the battleground states.

      R

    6. NGBoston on October 29th, 2012 8:31 am

      #4 leader- as posted above…already stated was never a big fan of Gingrich. It has nothing to do with me being a woman, just never cared for the man. That being said…he is extremely intelligent and I happen to agree w. much of what he says.

      Do you know who scares me MORE as a woman and a Mother? The Socialist lying sack of corn in office right now.

      Save your speeches and lectures. Four years in and this President is a total disaster…for many reasons !!!

      Go sell your fear mongering, racially and sexist divisive bullsh*t somewhere else, so called “leader”.

      I’m a leader,too….and those following me and my mantra didn’t vote for Obama in 2008 and sure as hell won’t be voting for him again.

      We can think for ourselves and are far from stupid, so don’t you dare try to preach to us about our bodies, our health, our beliefs or our rights!

      Thank you!

    7. myfoxmystere on October 30th, 2012 5:24 pm

      This is a huge political spanking to 0bama. Mitt Romney will win in a landslide.

    8. George Will Predicts Romney Landslide 321-217 on ABC’s ‘This Week” … Similar to Barone’s Landslide Predictions | Scared Monkeys on November 4th, 2012 3:31 pm

      [...] (6). The unexpected Romney endorsements by the Des Moines Register and three other newspapers gave voice to buyer’s remorse in a state Obama carried by 10 [...]

    9. 30 Newspapers Switch to Endorse Mitt Romney over Obama in 2012 | Scared Monkeys on November 5th, 2012 10:16 am

      [...] Columbian •The Daily Herald •Daily News (L.A.) •Daily Tribune •The Dallas Morning News •Des Moines Register •The Florida Times-Union (which split between McCain & Obama in ’08) •Florida Today [...]

    Leave a Reply




    Support Scared Monkeys! make a donation.

     
     
    • NEWS (breaking news alerts or news tips)
    • Red (comments)
    • Dugga (technical issues)
    • Dana (radio show comments)
    • Klaasend (blog and forum issues)
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
    Close
    E-mail It