CHANGE YOU CAN BELIEVE IN … From Cash for Clunkers to win a speech from Obama, any takers? More Obama “Hope & Change”, seems to be a lack of HS’s interested in having The Obamessiah provide commencement speech.
Imagine that, school kids who now know that President Barack Obama wants to provide them with a mountain of debt to pay back in their future do not want The One to speak at their high school graduations. Go figure. The White House competition to choose a high school that will win a commencement speech from President Obama is a complete bust.
The White House is ramping up an effort to promote a nationwide competition to decide which high school wins a commencement speech by President Obama.
An internal White House memo indicates that the White House is facing a shortage of applications less than a week before the deadline.
The competition was extended from the February 25 deadline until Friday, March 11 after few schools met the original application deadline. CBS News has learned a White House Communications Office internal memo dated February 22 noted “a major issue with the Commencement Challenge.”
“As of yesterday we had received 14 applications and the deadline is Friday,” the memo said. The memo also urged recipients to, “please keep the application number close hold.”
As per Big Government, last year over 1000 schools participated in the contest and this year, not so much. Sundries Shack provides us with the data of just how many high schools there are in the US … approximately 20,000 public schools. Only 14 applicants, you do the math.
Don’t ask for things they might come true. Some times its better to think a contest out before one, or in this case ‘The One” exposes himself to public embarrassment. His peeps are stunned as to the lack of interest in not wanting the celebrity of Obama to be at their commencement. Maybe they have seen his budget and the recent spending and out of control debt and understand that it is them that will have to pay it back.
Officials were unable to explain the reason for the apparent lack of interest, beyond pointing to possible procrastination by school systems.
Education Secretary Arne Duncan told CBS Radio News, “It’s a huge opportunity for high schools to tell their story.” Asked about the lagging application numbers, Duncan said, “Folks are working hard.” He called on schools to “put their best foot forward and join the competition.”
I guess GWB is to blame.