According to reports, Collin Finnerty and Reade Seligmann, two of the three suspended Duke Lacrosse players have been invited back to Duke University to attend classes. The reinstatement did not apply to Dave Evans, the third of the accused as he has already graduated from Duke.
Duke University has invited two of the lacrosse players accused of sexual assault to return to school as students in good standing, a defense attorney said Wednesday.
Collin Finnerty and Reade Seligmann had been barred from attending class during the fall semester while their case made its way through court. The third player charged in the case, Dave Evans, graduated in May, the day before he was charged with raping a stripper at a team party in March. (KABC)
The recent events that have taken place in the Duke Lacrosse rape case have obviously made those at Duke rethink that of which had been previously done to the three accused Duke Lacrosse player. DA Nifong had earlier dropped the rape charges against the lacrosse player; however, upheld the sexual assault and kidnapping charges.
(Reinstated Duke Lacrosse players)
Statement from Duke University:
“As circumstances have evolved in this extraordinary case, we have attempted to balance recognition of the gravity of legal charges with the presumption of your innocence,” Larry Moneta, Duke’s vice president for student affairs said in a letter to Seligmann dated Jan. 2.
“Now with the approach of a new term, we believe that circumstances warrant that we strike this balance differently. At this point, continued extension of the administrative leave would do unwarranted harm to your educational progress.” Seligmann’s attorney, James P. Cooney III, said Finnerty received the same offer.
Comments from the family of Reade Seligmann:
“We are … glad that Duke University has now made it clear that Reade is welcome to return to the university and look forward to the day that he can continue living a normal life and continuing his education as a full-time student.” (WVEC)
This case has become a complete fiasco as the North Carolina State bar has filed ethics charges against Mike Nifong and he has been asked to step down from this case. At this point stepping down is the least that Nifong can do.
What a complete disaster. DA Mike Nifong has successfully messed up future rape cases for victims and accused alike. What evidence did he ever have to go forward? What interrogations had he ever done? Nifong has successfully messed up future “legitimate” rape cases as defense attorneys will use the “prosecutorial witch-hunt” card.