Tuesday, April 19
- 7:30 a.m. (1:30 a.m. EDT): Cardinals celebrate Mass in the hotel chapel.
- 9 a.m. (3 a.m. EDT): Cardinals gather in Sistine Chapel for initial two rounds of balloting.
- Noon (6 a.m. EDT): Approximate time of first smoke signal from Sistine Chapel. The cardinals break for lunch.
- 4 p.m. (10 a.m. EDT): Cardinals return to the Sistine Chapel for two rounds of afternoon balloting.
- 7 p.m. (1 p.m. EDT): Approximate time of smoke signal after afternoon voting.
The rest of the days of the conclave are expected to follow Tuesday’s schedule. The Vatican spokesman said smoke signals from burned ballot papers could likely be seen at around noon (6 a.m. EDT) or 7 p.m. (1 p.m. EDT) each day.